Find the answer to your Linux question:
Evenin'! I'm new to open source etc, but with a bit of background reading have built a system and successfully installed Fedora on it. Trouble is, all my sound and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

absent drivers

Evenin'! I'm new to open source etc, but with a bit of background reading have built a system and successfully installed Fedora on it. Trouble is, all my sound and media programmes are crashing. They appear to be looking for /dev/cdrom, which I'm guessing is the driver for the CDROM (if it's the driver for the floppy, I'm going to give up now ...).

Presumably I can download and install the driver myself, which is where ... Okay, it's true! Building the computer didn't take any knowledge, I just bunged the bits in and it worked! Installing Fedora was just a case of throwing in a DVD! I know nothing at all! If a fool like me goes randomly farting about with drivers, I'll kill the computer, I know it!

In short, it's a big new world in here and it's scary. Can anyone babysit me through finding and installing drivers?

For a second there, I thought I was losing my dignity, but I think I got away with it. Any help would be much appreciated. Ta!

Which media programs are crashing, specifically?

/dev/cdrom is actually a notation for the device itself, not a driver. You may be having difficulty because the programs are looking for /dev/cdrom when they should be looking for /dev/dvd (or something similar) or /dev/cdrecorder, etc.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Hello! Cheers for the response!

Right, let's have a look ... The CD Player is coming up "Drive Error"

Sound Juicer says "Could not start Sound Juicer
    Reason: The plugin necessary for CD access was not found.
    Please consult the documentation for assistance."

And Grip says "Error: Unable to Initialise {/dev/cdrom}" ... which iisn't there.

I've checked and my CD Drive and DVD drive are using /dev/hdd and /dev/hdc respectively, so I'm guessing (or hoping at least) that they're all manifestations of the same problem. Exorcism and threats made no difference. I'm starting to experiment with a mixture of affection and emotional blackmaill. Results inconclusive so far ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You'll have to look around in the programs themselves and see if there's a spot where you can change the default devices for them.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    You'll have to look around in the programs themselves and see if there's a spot where you can change the default devices for them.
    Seems like making a symlink from /dev/cdrom to wherever your cdrom device actually is (mine's /dev/hdc, for instance) should work, shouldn't it?

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

it seems that's the default for many applications.