Find the answer to your Linux question:
Seeing as I did a search and came up with nothing specific to my query i think im in the clear to post it as a new thread. Ive recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uber N00b Question.

Seeing as I did a search and came up with nothing specific to my query i think im in the clear to post it as a new thread.

Ive recently installed fedora so that means im super green ..... super super green. I set Grub to boot WinXP by default however after downloading and installing the 195 updates for fedora grub now boots the new updated version of fedora instead of WinXP ... now im a gamer first and foremost when it comes to PC's as its games that push the tech industry so I mostly use WinXP can someone ether call me a noob or explain how I can get grub back the way it was before? hiding the old version of FC3 would be helpfull aswell.

Cheers in advance

Carrot

Linux Guru

Re: Uber N00b Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Carrot
    Ive recently installed fedora so that means im super green ..... super super green.
    There's nothing wrong with Fedora Core. Pick any other distro, spend as much time with it as you spent getting FC going, and let me know what you think.

Fixing Grub is easy. Boot to Linux. With any text editor (you should have nano for text mode, gedit for graphic mode), open the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. Near the top of the file you should see "default=0", maybe with a different number. Zero is the first menu selection or "title". Change the zero to whatever you want. While you're there, you can change "timeout" to however many seconds you want Grub to wait before it boots to the default.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Omg I love you sooo much right now. I was told that the open source comm is a hell of alot better than any M$ comm and you have just proved it. As for my comment about being super green i really should have stated that this is the first time ever that I have installed any linux based dist so in reality we are popping a cheery. yay for you. cheers for yer help.

ok now its giving me this access denied message I take it i have to be logged on as root to be able to edit thias file?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes.

I my system "su" is not enough to give me access to anything significant. I need to try "su -"
    Give that a go.

Chris

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to access the grub.conf file as well here is the error that I get.

[root@cj root]# gedit
    [root@cj root]# /boot/grub/grub.conf
    bash: /boot/grub/grub.conf: Permission denied
    [root@cj root]#

I'm logged on as Root. and using R.Hat 9.0.

Any suggestions would be great.

Regards,
    C.R.

Linux Enthusiast
    umm... err... you might want to try:
    Code:
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
    the way you've entered it there it looks like you started gedit, then tried to execute the grub.conf file, in which case it would deny you permission because it will probably be read only.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for everyone's help again.

C.R.

Linux Guru
    Of course, gedit only works in a terminal console in the graphic mode (X windows). If you are in text mode, you can try either nano or vi with the same command line format that smindinvern shows:
    Code:
    # nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
    ...or...
    # vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
    Nano is user friendly. You should read the man pages before using vi, and try it out with a disposible file before using it for something important like grub.conf I mention vi because I'm not sure all systems have nano. To get the manual pages for vi or any other command, do this at the command line:
    Code:
    $ man vi
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Enthusiast
    pico is also a good text-based editor