Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble playing back MPG(mpeg) files with the version of Totem that comes with FC3. Are there some packages that need to be installed to give it this support? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Movie playback

I'm having trouble playing back MPG(mpeg) files with the version of Totem that comes with FC3. Are there some packages that need to be installed to give it this support? like mp3 for xmms? or should I be using another player. I'd like to stick with Totem since its the GNOME default, but anything that will get me viewing mpg type files will do

Linux Enthusiast
    Get mplayer, and do it quickly, the site is being shut down for patent infringement. You can get it for the time being at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Linux Enthusiast
    Or give Xine a try... look here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have mplayer, came with fedora (did a full install), no go on that either. And as for xine, i thought totem was a version of that, guess ill get xine with yum and see what it does

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmm... mplayer should definitely play mpgs, I have several that play just fine. Have you downloaded the codecs package: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

Flo
    Just Joined!
    I think the important bits are missing so you will probably have to build it yourself. Get it form www.mplayerhq.hu, follow the instructions and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Have fun with it.