Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I've got a Compaq Presario 700 latop running FC3. My problem is that it has a touchpad which uses the 'synaptic' module. It comes with lots of 'features' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opting out of specific mouse driver

Hi everyone,

I've got a Compaq Presario 700 latop running FC3.

My problem is that it has a touchpad which uses the 'synaptic' module. It comes with lots of 'features' that I don't really appreciate. You can sweep along the right side to do vertical scrolling, sweep along the bottom to go back and forward in Firefox, plus tonnes of others. There is also a four-direction digital pad which serves exactly the same purpose as sweeping on the right and bottom as far as I can tell. What I'd like to do is to disable the sweeping functionality because I tend to go back and forward by accident a lot.

So what do I do? Can I disable this when the driver is loaded? Frankly, regular two-button mouse emulation would be better than this. Should I use a two-button mouse driver?

I really don't know how to do any of my proposals. Is there a way to pass custom arguments to a module when it's automatically loaded? Is there a way to specify that I DON'T want the synaptic module loaded for the touchpad, but a two-button mouse module instead?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Viva la Linux!

Linux Enthusiast
    You can't really disable the functions through the driver, you could just use another driver though.

Just Joined!

Solution

What I ended up doing was disabling the synaptic device in my xorg.conf file. The man page for xorg.conf says you can put it in home directories, but that only worked the first time I restarted X. It said something about the user-specific xorg.conf being used only when the X server is started by root, which doesn't really make sense to me. Personally, I thought the features introduced with the specific driver were cool, but the person I'm making the laptop for doesn't. Diff'rent strokes...

From this I learned that the mouse drivers used by X aren't modules (from what I understand). This doesn't make sense to me really, as one can use the mouse in a terminal without X running.