Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-mind bending way to disable fstab-sync. I'm tired of it and hal overwriting fstab every time I reboot, leaving most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC3 -- Disabling fstab-sync

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-mind bending way to disable fstab-sync. I'm tired of it and hal overwriting fstab every time I reboot, leaving most of my drives unmountable (I'm not really sure why, but it does, so I edit fstab again, and when I reboot, I have to go back and change it again).

The man 8 page for fstab-sync gave me these instructions:

DISABLING FSTAB-SYNC
    Automatic updates of the /etc/fstab file by the fstab-sync program from
    the HAL daemon can be disabled by changing the 50-fstab-sync.hal sym-
    link in /etc/hal/device.d directory to point to /bin/false

I read up on linking, but when I try to softlink 50-fstab-sync.hal to /bin/false, I get the following error (I'm including the command I issued as well):

[root@localhost device.d]# ln -s 50-fstab-sync.hal /bin/false
    ln: `/bin/false': File exists

Any suggestions on how to unlink 50-fstab-sync.hal and link it to /bin/false without running the risk of deleting/corrupting important system files?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just Joined!

Re: FC3 -- Disabling fstab-sync

Quote Originally Posted by bradmatic
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-mind bending way to disable fstab-sync. I'm tired of it and hal overwriting fstab every time I reboot, leaving most of my drives unmountable (I'm not really sure why, but it does, so I edit fstab again, and when I reboot, I have to go back and change it again).

The man 8 page for fstab-sync gave me these instructions:

DISABLING FSTAB-SYNC
    Automatic updates of the /etc/fstab file by the fstab-sync program from
    the HAL daemon can be disabled by changing the 50-fstab-sync.hal sym-
    link in /etc/hal/device.d directory to point to /bin/false

I read up on linking, but when I try to softlink 50-fstab-sync.hal to /bin/false, I get the following error (I'm including the command I issued as well):

[root@localhost device.d]# ln -s 50-fstab-sync.hal /bin/false
    ln: `/bin/false': File exists

Any suggestions on how to unlink 50-fstab-sync.hal and link it to /bin/false without running the risk of deleting/corrupting important system files?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Anyone who wants to disable the updating feature of fstab-sync without going through all the trouble of unlinking and relinking files can just take out the "managed" line in each fstab entry (usually for your cdrom, floppy, and zip drives -- or any other drives which you noticed that fstab automatically found on a bootup). See this link for more details.

Linux Newbie
    man !! you are doing just the opposite !!
    syntax of ln says 1st target then link name.
    do the following :

ln -s /bin/false /etc/hal/device.d/50-fstab-sync.hal

btw, you may have to first delete the 50-fstab-sync.hal symlink.
    Neway, since your problem has been solved already so dont bother about this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close