Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 9 for the first time and keep getting this error: An error has occured - no valid devices were found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no valid devises error during RH 9 install

Hi all,

I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 9 for the first time and keep getting this error:

An error has occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem.

I also see an earlier error stating that there was no hard drive detected. However, the BOIS shows the harddrive and I had windows on this PC before the install attempt, so I don't think it's the cause.

I have tried 2 different computers with no luck. Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Thanks,
    Mark

Linux Enthusiast
    Is it an SATA drive, also, I've had similar problems with a bad burn of Fedora, you may want to run the media check before installation.

Just Joined!
    No, the HDD is a standard IDE drive.

I was able to use the same CD's a while back but need to install on 1 of 2 different PC's.

I also have Mandrake 10 and it too has the same problem. Ditto for Fedora. And the media check returns no problems on the CD's.

I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to get this installed with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Ok... How old is the drive, and are you using cable select, or do you have the drives jumpered. Also, can you run the windows installation, will it detect the drive, it may have just come loose or something.

Just Joined!
    The HDD is about 2 years old. Maxtor 80 gig.

I had Win XP on it and it ran fine. But XP got hosed when I tried to install Linux

I also have a new Dell PowerEdge SC420 that was supposed to run Linux. But when I couldn't get it to go on it, I figured it wasn't a supported OS so I chose the current PC.

As far as the HDD, it's set up by the jumper as the primary or master drive. The only other drive is a CD-ROM.

Thanks,
    Mark