Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a USB enclosure, enclosing a drive with two partitions: 130 GB ntfs and 30 GB vfat. On FC3, the process is amazingly simple! I plug the drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    sly
    Just Joined!

usb drive permissions problem

Hi,
    I have a USB enclosure, enclosing a drive with two partitions: 130 GB ntfs and 30 GB vfat.

On FC3, the process is amazingly simple! I plug the drive in, and turn it on and voila! two drives appear on the Desktop. But; there is always a but when things are that simple... :

The media folder is as follows:
    Code:
    $ ls -l /media
    total 36
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 Mar 12 13:58 cdrecorder/
    drwxr-xr-x  6 sly     sly 16384 Dec 31  1969 MYVFAT/
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 Mar 12 13:58 floppy/
    dr-x------  1 root   root    4096 Mar  3 22:40 MYNTFS/
    And /etc/fstab (only the relevant lines added by fstab-sync) looks like
    Code:
    /dev/sda1   /media/MYNTFS   ntfs   pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
    /dev/sdb2   /media/MYVFAT   vfat   pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
    My questions are:
    1. Why is ntfs partition set by root only permissions? How to change it?
    2. What is fstab-sync and what are the relevant configuration files?
    3. Who puts those links on the Desktop? (for CDROM and others as well)

thanks,
    - sly

The only sugestion would be to add users to the fstab line for the ntfs drive:
    /dev/sda1 /media/MYNTFS ntfs pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r :removable_t,managed,users 0 0
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

sly
    Just Joined!
    Well, that works (mounts the drive with proper previlages) but unfortunately is not a solution to the problem. Actually a funny thing happens after you edit these fstab-sync generated lines: fstab-sync generates duplicate mount points at the next USB event!! And /etc/fstab looks like:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1               /media/MYNTFS            ntfs    pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed,users 0 0
    /dev/sdb1               /media/MYNTFS1           ntfs    pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
    /dev/sdb2               /media/CUMUR            vfat    pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
    Note that not only `1' is appended to the mount point, but also the device is now sdb !!!