Find the answer to your Linux question:
A week ago, I installed RH7.3 on an old P2. I just did the basic workstation install, no development programs and everything worked fine. At the time, I had one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

IDE CD Drives...Help Wanted...

A week ago, I installed RH7.3 on an old P2. I just did the basic workstation install, no development programs and everything worked fine. At the time, I had one hard drive (primary master) and one cd-rom (secondary master).

Since then, I added a second hard drive (primary slave), which works fine. Some more memory, up to 256MB. I also added an older mitsumi x2 burner (secondary slave).

I spent a little time getting the cd burner to work, but I eventually did (ended up adding three lines to my /etc/modules.conf file:

alias scd0 sr_mod
    alias scsi_adapter ide-scsi <--or something similar
    options ide-cd ignore=hdd)

After that, I was able to finally get the cd-r to work, and tested it using gtoaster. So I was happy!

But, I noticed that my cd-rom (hdc on secondary slave) was no longer working. I noticed that upon booting, the BIOS detected it, but during the linux boot, I was getting no response (0xd1).

Now I can't get that cd-rom to work at all, whereas before, it was working fine. I have the 2.4.20 kernel and I was really not wanting to have to upgrade or reinstall. I figure there has to be something I can tweak in some of the configuration files (like /etc/modules.conf or /etc/fstab or /etc/grub.conf).

Yes, I am using grub, not lilo, so most of the documentation I have been abel to find refers to lilo.

So, if someone could help this newbie out, that would be awesome. I just would like to get both my cd drives operating so I can get on with just enjoying my OS and computer!

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure the reason behind this, but I have heard that if you want to have an IDE hard drive and a CD drive on the same IDE channel, you should make the hard drive the master and the CD the slave. I'm sure you have the jumpers set correctly on each drive, right? (I don't really trust "cable select" methods.) And I think you need to have a line in fstab for each CD drive in order to "see" the drive without a CD in it.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Yeah, I have the jumpers set up as master and slave.

Just to note, IDE channel 0 has two hard drives (both working fine) and IDE channel 1 has a CD-ROM (master) and a CD-R (slave). The CD-R works, but the CD-ROM is getting a no response on boot...

I am going to attempt to root around in my /etc/grub.conf file tonight. I think what my plan is, is to have both CD drives using SCSI emulation, as whatever I have done so far is not working...

Thanks!

Ok, I tried a couple more things tonight.

First, I created a boot disk when I first installed rh7.3. When I boot from that, both CD drives (the ROM and the Writer) are detected and seem to function. Granted, I can't burn any discs, but they are both accessible.

That had the 2.4.18 kernel, so I thought that might make a difference. So, rebooting from my harddrive, I load the earlier kernel, but it didn't make a difference, as I couldn't get both drives.

Now, for the heck of it, I set both of them up in my BIOS as None (as opposed to the Auto that they are normally set to). The BIOS obviously didn't recognize either one, but linux did. Now, even though they were both recongnized, I couldn't mount or eject the CD-ROM, so there was still something not working.

So, there is something on that boot disk that is allowing me to see them both, but I don't know what it is. I am thinking I might have flipped a setting somewhere when I tried to load those modules, but I don't know.

If anyone can shed some light on that, it would be awesome.

One last thought, I was thinking about booting to Knoppix or putting my install disk back in, but I am no longer able to boot from either CD, whereas before, I was able to. So, now I am worried if my system is truly hosed, I will have a problem reinstalling anything, as I can't boot from anything but a floppy...

Linux Guru
    If you can no longer boot to a CD drive that used to boot, that's a problem. I guess the firststep there would be to fiddle with some cables. Good luck.

Interesting about the boot floppy getting to the drives and not the hard drive. You ought to be able to duplicate from the hard drive anything the floppy can do, since the floppy is just running a kernel command line and an initrd like the hard drive boot is. I'd try booting from each and then running lsmod in each to see if there are any differences in drivers that get loaded. I think it's a driver issue.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Well, to update you. I took both CD drives out, and jumpered them both as cable select. After rebooting, that just caused more problems. So, I jumped the burner (which used to be the slave) as master, and vice versa with the CD-ROM. Everything worked after that!

Now, I still didn't have the ability to burn CDs, as I had no SCSI Emulation, so I decided to just get a newer distro and not futz with this anymore. I installed SuSE 9.2 via FTP and things are running nice now. I still have to test my burner, but so far, so good. I am also getting a new view, as I installed KDE as opposed to gnome...so we will see.

Anyways, thanks for listening and giving me some additional leads to carry out!

Dan