Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm running XP on a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 5150 if it matters) and I want to load fedora as a second OS. I have Partition Magic to split up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Fedora as a Second OS

Ok, I'm running XP on a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 5150 if it matters) and I want to load fedora as a second OS. I have Partition Magic to split up my hard drive between Windows and Fedora. Partition magic has a wizard that will set up partitions specifically for a dual boot system running linux as a second OS. However, the documentation on the Fedora site makes it sound like I should just make some free (non-partitioned) space on my hard drive, reboot with the fedora CD in the drive, and the installer can work out the drive space as it needs.

So has anyone on this site tried to make a dual boot system in this manner? Should I use the partition magic wizard or just make some room and hope the installer does the rest?

Also, once I get fedora on, does the Fedora installer automatically work LiLo so that I can choose what OS I want to use any time I boot? And do I need to worry about any of my hardware not being recognized, or will most of it just work right after installation? (I tried using Knoppix and everything worked but my PCMCIA stuff, which I guess is just my wireless card.)

Oof. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to get into Linux and obviously need a lot of help. Anything you can tell me will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    I have made a dual boot os on a comp with this strategy...just resize with partition magic, but make sure that you defrag first, and then leave enough extra room, then use the pm boot disk in case it messes up with the splitting of the partitions. then test out windows to make sure you don't have to revert. then you just have to boot the fedora and split up the unpartitioned space, at least 1 swap and 1 /.

Let anaconda do the work for you but pm is good to just split it up,

Lots of people have problems and loose installs because of pm, even if they talk all proper precautions.

Good luck
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I always think it is easier for linux to install on blank un formatted space, but it should be easy enough to install Linux on a hard drive with pre-formatted partitions, since it will just re-format them. Remember of linux you need a pertition of the / (root) partition and a partition for your SWAP space (make swap about double you RAM in size).

GrUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) or LiLo(Linux Loader) should settup fine by themselves during the install.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 2 Warning!!!

First, I really enjoy using Fedora Core 2, but if you're going to install it on a dual-booting machine, you should be aware of a bug. On some installations, like one of mine, you might get an error saying something about the hard disk's geometry. If you proceed, you could screw things up a bit (but it would still be recoverable). I suggest you read through these links, and maybe print out the first one, before you start your installation, so you won't have to worry about fixing anything later.
    http://<br /> http://www.ces.clemso...inux/fc2.shtml

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00908.html

Just Joined!
    Don't use Core 2 use Core 3 and the partition bug is gone. Use this for duel boot without the second drive. Use unallocated space.

My Fedora Core 3 Install

This by all means may not work for everybody and I can't explain why it happened I can just
    guess. I've been working with Red Hat since version 6.2. My company is going to change all our
    operating systems mid next year to Red Hat Enterprise Edition. The reason why I like Fedora is it's
    always a challenge to make it work when your running on the cutting edge of hardware.
    I want to thank all the people and their suggestions on this forum.

I run an Intel D865perl motherboard with 2.6 gig Intel processor with 1 gig of ram. Two 160 gig
    hard drives. The first hard drive is for Windows XP. Second hard drive is for Fedora and data
    backups.

Drive 2 the first 40 gig is Fedora and the second 120 gig is for files backups and Norton ghost 2003
    images. Which I never doing anything without a current image file it will save your butt.

Install Fedora Core 3 on the second hard drive and use the automatic partitioning tool but don't
    put grub on your Master MBR put it on the first sector on your second drive. When you get to the
    Boot Loader Configuration screen make sure you check the Configure advanced boot loader
    options. The next screen will give the option where to put Grub Boot Loader. It should say like
    hda or hdb. Hda is usually your XP Drive. From their finish loading. Put it on hdb.

Now duel booting using XP boot manager (My Preference. I don't like third party boot managers.)

Use your rescue CD to boot to Fedora.
    Hit enter at the boot prompt.
    Hit enter for English
    Hit enter for us
    Setup network select no
    At the rescue screen select continue
    At the next rescue screen hit enter
    Now you have a prompt sh-3.00#
    At the prompt type in chroot /mnt/sysimage
    If hdb2 is Not your boot partition, change it as appropriate. Type: df then determine which hda#
    Run the command dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=boot.lnx bs=512 count=1
    You should see
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    Type ls and you should see a file named boot.lnx
    Put a blank floppy disk in your a: drive
    Type mcopy boot.lnx a:
    It should have copied the file to your a: drive

Now reboot to Windows

Copy boot.lnx to your root directory
    Right click on your boot.ini file select properties and uncheck read only click ok
    Double click your boot.ini file and add one line at the end it should read
    C:\boot.lnx="Fedora Core 3". Then save it. When you reboot your XP boot
    manager will come up and you can chose Fedora it jumps to the Grub Boot manager on your
    second drive.

My file looks like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)(1)\win dows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)(1)\windows="Mi crosoft Windows XP Pro SP2"
    /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    c:\boot.lnx="RedHat Fedora Core 3 Project"

You call it anything you want

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help guys. You've answered a bunch of my questions. However I'm not a hacker by any means so I guess what I was really asking was "Is there any way to install linux as a second OS without having to type any code?" Here's what I would like to happen ideally:

I repartition my drive squishing Windows' NTFS partition down to give me say 10 GB of free space.
    I boot from the Fedora CDs that I downloaded, it does what it needs to do with the free space, and installs the OS.
    Fedora CDs installs LiLo or whatever to give me the option of which operating system I want to use every time I reboot.
    Installation finishes
    I restart my computer
    Everything comes up roses

It sounds like this is what should happen in theory when I read the online manuals for Fedora. Has anyone ever done this in practice?

Just Joined!

Go for it

Yes, just use Fedora Core 3, and all your wildest dreams will come true.
    Seriously, if you don't care which distro you use, just use Fedora Core 3 and it will all go swimmingly.