Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am brand new to Red Hat. I have been using it for like 5 days now. And I think its a great system. And it works really great. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Edit Xorg.conf ?

Hi, I am brand new to Red Hat. I have been using it for like 5 days now. And I think its a great system. And it works really great. But I wanted to change my screen resoultion to a better size. Preferable to a smaller size. My screen size is way to big at the moment and I don't like it that way. My current screen resoultion is 800 x 600. And also I have a Nvidia Geforce FX (Generic) it is a not to old video card. It is not so generic as the word says in the Display settings program. But not many choices to pick for so it was left with that.
    And I havn't went to Nvida's website to update the driver's for this linux system yet. I was a little afraid to download it for linux and not knew exactly what I was doing without consulting some help.

I was reading on the forum with the search feature. Now people can edit the Xorg.conf but every time I try to edit it to put more choices for the screen resoultion it wont even let me type anything.

So how do I edit the xorg.conf when it wont even let me type anything? Thanks for the help.

And I have a red hat pro 9.2 not sure what ele's I have. Because I havn't learned how to tell that info. I updated my system with mostly all the updates so it is uptodate.

I suggest running xorgconfig as root

Just Joined!
    India, At present in NTT, Japan as Partner Employee

have you tried vi editor

I am not sure if you have tried the same with vi editor, what is the location for this file, send the file permission as well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I feel your pain ShockFire. I have, on the advice of a friend, downloaded the Nvidia drivers for Linux. It seems I have to exit the X server to install them.

I have no idea what the hell that means...

use an editor like nano then just type as root: # nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

type in your changes then his Ctrl and X and hit y to save changes.

other editors are: vi or vim or maybe gedit. Not sure for your distro. Or even emacs for a gui editor.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Munkster, you'd press Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as root, run:
    Code:
    telinit 3
    killall -9 X
    ShockFire, just run xorgconfig, that will take care of everything. or if you still need to edit it by hand, i suggest you check the manual for whatever editor you're using.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all for the advice. =)

Where is xorgconfig? I can't even seem to locate it in my system at all.

How do I run xorgconfig as root?

Sorry I don't exactly knew how to respond to this question.

I am not sure if you have tried the same with vi editor, what is the location for this file, send the file permission as well.

Yup it is painful to have a huge screen resoultion.

type:
    Code:
    xorgconfig

Just Joined!
    India, At present in NTT, Japan as Partner Employee
    //Sorry I don't exactly knew how to respond to this question.

//I am not sure if you have tried the same with vi editor, what is the location for this file, send the file permission as well.

What I said that may be the file permissions are not good in order to edit that, or may be you are not the owner or in the group in which that file belogs to .

Just type ls -l command and check in group and permissions.

Anand

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Munkster, you'd press Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as root, run:
    Code:
    telinit 3
    killall -9 X
    Thanks. I got there in the end.

Sadly, it now seems that I need to have GCC installed. Frankly, this is slowly, but surely, sending me insane...arrrrgh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast