Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering is there a way to create a shortcut to open a desired folder on the desktop? Thanks Smart People....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Folder Shortcut on Desktop

I was wondering is there a way to create a shortcut to open a desired folder on the desktop? Thanks Smart People.

Hi ShockFire,

This is assuming you are using GNOME:
    To create a shortcut to a folder, right click on the desktop and click 'Create Launcher'.
    • -type in a name for the icon (the text that will be seen with the icon)
      -generic name (not too sure what this does. I am pretty sure you can put anything here)
      -a comment (just something to describe the icon)
      -a command (in here, you would type nautilus [path to folder] or just nautilus if you want to go to your home folder)
      -type should be application
      -choose an icon by clicking the no icon button
      -make sure 'run in terminal' is not checked

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain how to make a shortcut of a folder to the desktop. Yup it did work correctly after I tryed it a couple times. At frist I could't get it to work. So I keept trying and after about the five times of trying the explanation of how to make a shortcut for the desktop. So it did work correctly.

By the way what does nautilus mean? Is it like a directory command? I am not familiar with it.

Hi ShockFire,

Glad to hear that worked for you. As for Nautilus, it is like Windows Explorer...it lets you view and manipulate files graphically.

Hope the helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Linux n00b here (doing a search, saw your online)

so its like a shell object?

also is the shortcut procedure the same or similar in KDE\fluxbox\ect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Czar
    Linux n00b here (doing a search, saw your online)

so its like a shell object?

also is the shortcut procedure the same or similar in KDE\fluxbox\ect?
    HEy you are waking up 2 years old topic.

Well Im sure every desktop has "shortcut procedure". Actualy you just make softliks.
    If you dont like nautilus just use
    Code:
    ln -s /original /linked
    syntax.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    HEy you are waking up 2 years old topic.
    good search queries do that
    trying to figure out a few cross distro "rules" (like your answer )

but the addendum answer (Nautilus) made me curious as to how to errr... translate it into a Win32 analogy Im relatively familiar with special folders ( Shell objects) and was wondering if there was a similar class of items in the architecture.

(Im going from hacking W2K to actually getting serious about Linux "under the hood")

Just Joined!
    If you're in KDE, drag the file/folder to the desktop and select "Link here"

Just Joined!
    Note that what Linux calls a “Link” is a true shortcut because you can drag'n drop files onto it, whereas an icon created with “Create Launcher...” will give you an error. If you don't use drag'n drop, then I suppose a launcher is fine. Using the GNOME Desktop (and probably KDE too), if you create a Link/Shortcut, the icon will even have a swishy arrow in front of it just like it does in Windows. Also, if you want to drag a Link for your “Home Folder” located under the panel item “Places”, this is a little tricky because you can't Rt-click to get a menu with which to choose “Make Link“. But you can click “Places”, hold down Ctrl and Shift, then click and Drag “Home Folders” to your Desktop.