Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am installing Fedora 2. I am installing from a bootable CD that I have used successfully on other systems. On this current system (Dell Dimension XPS B733), the installer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD-ROM Not detected on install

I am installing Fedora 2. I am installing from a bootable CD that I have used successfully on other systems. On this current system (Dell Dimension XPS B733), the installer boots, but is then unable to detect the CDROM drive to continue the install.

These are the troubleshooting steps that I have taken so far:

1.) Have verified the integrity of the installation disk (tested it using anaconda), and have used it successfully on other systems. I am sure that that is not the problem.
    2.) Have tried the following options at the "boot:" prompt of the installer (per the suggestion of a few FAQs that I found).

linux ide=nodma
    linux acpi=off apm=off

I am still having no luck. Any ideas?

Smile

Hello Redman,
    Please explain how do i set jumpers presently my bios shows sata as primary 1 and dvd rom as primary 2 and cd-rw as secondary2.i changed my mobo to gigabyte ga-81915ME-GV based on intel 915GV chipset.i earlier used intel original D915GAV board.so after removing and installed the n00 board.i tried installing debian etch with netinstall cd...but if fails in detecting my sony cd-rw and LG-DVD ROM drives even after inserting all necessary modules like cdrom etc...also i have a working FC5 install which earlier shows drives as DVD is /dev/hda and cd-rw as /dev/hdb.i searched and found that new device files are hdc as primary dvd drive and hdd as secondary.also my hdd is SATA seagate which is running OK as primary.
    Now how do i install etch or any other distros...all failed...

for me,solved thx to debian wiki
    Code:
    For daily builds of the installer

If you are using a version of the installer more recent than the Etch Beta 2 release, use the following procedure to work around this problem.

Boot your system from the CD

Where it says "Press F1 for help, or ENTER for boot:", enter the following command:

install libata.atapi_enabled=1

The installer should now support your SATA ATAPI device.
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto