Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Need HELP !!!!! I have two hard drives in my computer with no data on these. Primary 20G Secondary 80G I need help in installing Windows XP and Linux with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot Windows XP & Red Hat Linux

Need HELP !!!!!

I have two hard drives in my computer with no data on these.

Primary 20G
    Secondary 80G

I need help in installing Windows XP and Linux with the option of dual boot.
    I would like to install windows on the 20G and 80G for the Linux.

Can someone give me step by step instruction to do it. The difficult part for me is how to partition the drives and install which component where.

Any HELP is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Linux Newbie
    1) Install windows on the 20G drive.
    2) Install linux on the 80G drive. Make sure to choose manual partitioning during the installation. I would reccommend making the first partition on the drive 100mb, mounted at /boot
    make the second partition fill the rest of the drive, mounted at /

thats all.

Just Joined!
    Try this it worked for me. It should be the same. I would reverse the drives. You don't need 80 Gig for linux.

My Fedora Core 3 Install

This by all means may not work for everybody and I can't explain why it happened I can just
    guess. I've been working with Red Hat since version 6.2. My company is going to change all our
    operating systems mid next year to Red Hat Enterprise Edition. The reason why I like Fedora is it's
    always a challenge to make it work when your running on the cutting edge of hardware.
    I want to thank all the people and their suggestions on this forum.

I run an Intel D865perl motherboard with 2.6 gig Intel processor with 1 gig of ram. Two 160 gig
    hard drives. The first hard drive is for Windows XP. Second hard drive is for Fedora and data
    backups.

Drive 2 the first 40 gig is Fedora and the second 120 gig is for files backups and Norton ghost 2003
    images. Which I never doing anything without a current image file it will save your butt.

Install Fedora Core 3 on the second hard drive and use the automatic partitioning tool but don't
    put grub on your Master MBR put it on the first sector on your second drive. When you get to the
    Boot Loader Configuration screen make sure you check the Configure advanced boot loader
    options. The next screen will give the option where to put Grub Boot Loader. It should say like
    hda or hdb. Hda is usually your XP Drive. From their finish loading. Put it on hdb.

Now duel booting using XP boot manager (My Preference. I don't like third party boot managers.)

Use your rescue CD to boot to Fedora.
    Hit enter at the boot prompt.
    Hit enter for English
    Hit enter for us
    Setup network select no
    At the rescue screen select continue
    At the next rescue screen hit enter
    Now you have a prompt sh-3.00#
    At the prompt type in chroot /mnt/sysimage
    If hdb2 is Not your boot partition, change it as appropriate. Type: df then determine which hda#
    Run the command dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=boot.lnx bs=512 count=1
    You should see
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    Type ls and you should see a file named boot.lnx
    Put a blank floppy disk in your a: drive
    Type mcopy boot.lnx a:
    It should have copied the file to your a: drive

Now reboot to Windows

Copy boot.lnx to your root directory
    Right click on your boot.ini file select properties and uncheck read only click ok
    Double click your boot.ini file and add one line at the end it should read
    C:\boot.lnx="Fedora Core 3". Then save it. When you reboot your XP boot
    manager will come up and you can chose Fedora it jumps to the Grub Boot manager on your
    second drive.

My file looks like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)(1)\win dows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)(1)\windows="Mi crosoft Windows XP Pro SP2"
    /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    c:\boot.lnx="RedHat Fedora Core 3 Project"

You call it anything you want

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Just wondering, why are you opposed to using grub? It will make his life a lot easier.

Linux Engineer
    Some folks just don't trust LILO or GRUB. Me, LILO is my friend.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

I have seen this post before, but this is the first time I have read it all the way through. Talk about something that should be fairly easy and making it complicated, this is it.
    Grub is a much more intuitive bootloader than ntldr.
    And much easier to configure. Ntldr isn't hard to configure, if you want to dual boot 2 Windows systems. But, getting ntldr to boot Linux is a lot more pain than it is worth.

This should be an easy step-by-step procedure.
    1. Install Windows on the first hard drive(I would put it on the 20 gig)
    2. Install Linux on either 1st or 2nd hard drive(either way Linux should set up a dual boot for you, if you put Grub or LiLo on MBR)
    3. Reboot and choose your OS.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    It's very simple. This is detailed from start to finish and exactly what you will see on the screen. The duel boot process only takes 5 minutes or less. My post wasn't meant to upset anyone is was meant for the person that asked the question. If you haven't tried it don't knock it. If you'll notice on the orginal post he just joined and it's his first post and asked for a step by step instruction. We have all been there.

Just Joined!

Dual booting

I think using the grub actually makes life easier.

Here's what i did:
    Installed Windows Xp first and then installed Red hat Linux.So when you reboot,the red hat linux screen comes up and actually asks you which you want to start.

However,i noticed that if i delete or format the Linux partition,my windows partition disappears also ( i can assure you that i did not accidentally delete the windows partion).So now i am struck with the two partions until i am ready to delete the Windows parttion too!

Any ideas how i can avoid this problem?

Just Joined!

Unhappy dual boot fedora 6 and windows using ntldr

I see there another Harley here, seems like a good place to post...

ok, I just installed fedora core 6 but having few problems, had to do a noprobe install. I had redhat 8 installed and was using ntldr and lilo to boot -

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect
    C:\boot.lnx="Red Hat Linux 8.0"
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"

redhat 8 didn't like my new video card, so thought an upgrade might solve the problem but no go.....

when I installed there did not seem to be any option to create a floppy boot disk and no lilo either, only grub, so anyway I installed grub on the first sector of boot partition, I didn't want to install it in MBR because I already have NTLDR and hardware profiles and I'm pretty sure if I install grub there one of them will get wiped out so anyway now I can't boot linux

I tried doing a rescue but pc just hangs, so does anyone have any ideas?

when I choose linux from NTLDR, lilo is still there and I think it is still trying to boot the now deleted redhat 8, what can I do?

Oh yeah, I have access to my ext3 partition using captain nemo under windows.

boot up through Linux CD in rescue mode and post the output of 'fdisk -l' command.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast