Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am having troubles accesing a intranet web server that is running in RH9. I can see it locally using the localhost or IP reference in the browser but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot see linux apache web server in windows network

Hi, I am having troubles accesing a intranet web server that is running in RH9. I can see it locally using the localhost or IP reference in the browser but when I try to reference it from one of the windows pcs using the IP address I cannot see it.

The Servername directive in apache is set to the IP address of the server. I can succesfully ping this address from the windows pc but when I use it in the browser it does not work. The Listen directive in apache is set as default (port 80).

Any help is what configuration should I se would be greatly appreciated.

I am using RH9, apache 2.0.53

are you getting any errors in your apache logs?

what exactly happens when trying from windows, "page can not be found" ?

Just Joined!
    YEs, the error is "page can not be displayed". And there is no record of the acces atempt in the error log or in the access log.

Now that you mention it, it appears it is a problem with Linux and the network reather the apache config. Strange, becouse I can surf the web in the Linux pc and even copy files from one of the windows pcs...

Just Joined!

Re: cannot see linux apache web server in windows network

I think that 80 port is blocked by firewall on your Linux PC

Just Joined!

Re: cannot see linux apache web server in windows network

hi,

i'm having the same problem:

Quote Originally Posted by siinfod
    Hi, I am having troubles accesing a intranet web server that is running in RH9. I can see it locally using the localhost or IP reference in the browser but when I try to reference it from one of the windows pcs using the IP address I cannot see it.

The Servername directive in apache is set to the IP address of the server. I can succesfully ping this address from the windows pc but when I use it in the browser it does not work. The Listen directive in apache is set as default (port 80).

Any help is what configuration should I se would be greatly appreciated.

I am using RH9, apache 2.0.53

i'm running apache on redhat. the webserver and all clients are on the same 192.168.0.xx network, and - get this - the macs (panther) and some pc's (windows xp home) CAN see the webserver no problem. the pc's running windows xp pro CANNOT see it.

i'm fairly confident that the apache .conf's and other network settings on the linux box are good, especially since connectivity is available from mac and xp home edition.

i'm stuck.
    any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Try to telnet from a windows PC to the server on port 80

1. Go to Run | cmd
    2. telnet 192.168.x.x 80 (replace IP with yours obviously)

If you get a blank screen or it kinda hangs then you are getting to the servers port 80.

If you can't telnet to it, than my guess is its being blocked by a firewall on the server.

I found firestarter to be a cool xwindows tool for firewall configs.

Just Joined!

windows access

hi:

make sure you have added the network place to all xp boxes and that the users have been set up properly on linux. the link from the xp browser should be:

\\your_linux_box\user

i set up a user for my son and the link is:

\\linuxnet\brett

hope this helps.

j