Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

computer name is localhost

When i installed FC3 a while back, it named my machine localhost and it's causing problems with samba. How the heck to i change the computer's name to something else at this point in the game and do i have to change it in more than one config file?
    Register Linux User #388393

Just Joined!
    #vi /etc/sysconfig/network

#### change localhost to whatever you like ########
    #####################################

HOSTNAME=srv.myserver.com ---> is a good choice

:wq
    #shutdown -r now (i always to reset server to change host name any ideas to stop this bad habit)

hope this help

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, but that seems to have opened up a whole new can of worms.
    I made the change from localhost.localdomain to fedora.localdomain and rebooted the machined. Now after i login, it says:

"Could not look up internet address for fedora.localdomain. This will prevent GNOME from oeprating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding fedora.localdomain to the file /etc/hosts."
    Register Linux User #388393

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I had the same problem - read that error message again - it gives you a pretty good hint on how to resolve the problem. In your /etc/hosts file there is a line that will read "localhost.localdomain 127.0.0.1" Simply replace that localhost.localdomain with what your new computer name is and leave the 127.0.0.1. Make sure the name matches what you entered in /etc/sysconfig/network or you'll get the same message next time you reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon8
    Thanks, but that seems to have opened up a whole new can of worms.
    I made the change from localhost.localdomain to fedora.localdomain and rebooted the machined. Now after i login, it says:

"Could not look up internet address for fedora.localdomain. This will prevent GNOME from oeprating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding fedora.localdomain to the file /etc/hosts."
    Yeap. Just edit your /etc/hosts to the following, example u want ur server to be named is fedora

127.0.0.1 fedora.localdomain fedora

this way, the Linux OS will be able to resolve the hostname-to-ip upon system loading through reading your /etc/hosts

Be aware that there may be programs that will require localhost to be resolvable. You'd be better giving your system a static IP address instead of messing with the localhost line:
    Code:
    192.168.1.1   fedora.localdomain  fedora

Quote Originally Posted by kamtono
    #shutdown -r now (i always to reset server to change host name any ideas to stop this bad habit)
    The hostname(1) command should change it without requiring a reboot. Also, "service network restart" may well do the trick. Rebooting is the last resort with Linux, and the first resort with Windoze!

Quote Originally Posted by scm
    Be aware that there may be programs that will require localhost to be resolvable. You'd be better giving your system a static IP address instead of messing with the localhost line:

Hey thanks for that tip - I was not aware of that - being a newbie and all.