Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
You can't unmount a filesystem if a process is using it (ie, someone's cd-ed into one of its subdirectories). eject with no arguments will try to umount /dev/cdrom, so if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    scm
    Linux Engineer

You can't unmount a filesystem if a process is using it (ie, someone's cd-ed into one of its subdirectories). eject with no arguments will try to umount /dev/cdrom, so if you haven't symlinked that to your /dev/hdc (or d, or whatever) it won't work.

As to why your manual mount didn't work - are you mounting a valid data CDROM (not an audio CD)?

Just Joined!
    Well, I was trying to play a CD-R which had music on it.

I have been playing around and logged in as root, and popped in a REAL audio CD. The CD began to play automatically. I hope this works under my regular user account.

As for the other stuff, like symlink or whatever, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I am somewhat of a newbie to Linux when it comes to having to manually do everything.

Just Joined!
    Okay...

Logged on as regular user.

CDROM NOT working. As root it autoplays and works, even though it does no good since I have no sound.

This is obviously a permissions problem. Any help?

Thanks for being patient guys.

I AM LEARNING A LOT!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    scm
    Linux Engineer
    Check the permissions on /dev/hdc, it'll probably be rw only for owner, which will be root, group disk. You can change it by "chmod 666 /dev/hdc" (as root), or (what I did) "chown fred /dev/hdc" where fred is the name of the user you're running as (this'll be fine if you're the only non-root user on the machine).

Also as root, you can "ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom" to add a symbolic link for the cdrom so eject will work for you.

You're nearly there!
    Steve

Linux User
    Does it have anything to do with SELinux???
    I have a strong feeling the problems are related to SELinux...

Check this for more info on SELinux on FC3:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by scm
    Check the permissions on /dev/hdc, it'll probably be rw only for owner, which will be root, group disk. You can change it by "chmod 666 /dev/hdc" (as root), or (what I did) "chown fred /dev/hdc" where fred is the name of the user you're running as (this'll be fine if you're the only non-root user on the machine).

Also as root, you can "ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom" to add a symbolic link for the cdrom so eject will work for you.

You're nearly there!
    Steve
    Okay...

I chmod 666 like you said, and still no luck. I don't get this. Almost everything, except for sound, works as root.

Maybe this is related to SELinux, but I disabled ENFORCING, and still no luck.

I think I'll just reformat my machine with F.C.4 when it is released, or go back to Mandriva (EVERYTHING worked).

This is more hassel than it is worth.

Linux Newbie
    have a try at this:

chmod 777 /dev/hdc
    ln -s /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
    after doing this u will be able to mount n eject the cdrom from user mode no need to login to root.

about sound see if the Cd-fine or is there any sound device application already running such an instance of media player already playing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3