Find the answer to your Linux question:
I set up my partitions so there would be a small OS slice for XP and FC3 and then a big huge vfat chunk on /hda6 where I'd put all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vfat share problem in FC3

I set up my partitions so there would be a small OS slice for XP and FC3 and then a big huge vfat chunk on /hda6 where I'd put all my data so it could be shared between the two OSes. However, it's been nothing but trouble. After I dumped several gigs of stuff on it, it gave me tons of filesystem panic errors at shutdown and filesystem integrity problems in XP. After I ran the disk fixing utility thingie in XP and fsck in FC3, the errors cleaned up, but that's not the end of the problems. It will read and write in Windows but only read in linux. It won't write even as superuser, even if I use mount -w. Here is my fstab:

Code:
    LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
    LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
    none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
    none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
    /dev/hda6               /hda6                   vfat    exec,umask=000  0 0
    none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
    none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
    LABEL=SWAP-hda5         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
    /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

I am something of a n00b, so my current solution is to reformat it as vfat in linux and hope it turns out right this time. Since I've already put a bunch of info on this drive, that'd be a pain in the ass and I'm looking for other solutions.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!

also unable to write to fat32 in linux - want to chmod 777, not allowed

Hi,
    Did you ever find a solution to the read only linux. I am having the same problem. I can read/write windows for my fat32 filesystems but I can only read with linux, in spite of root commands to create rw systems in linux. Please advise if you have discovered the answer. ]
    Thanks

Linux Engineer
    rw,umask=0,nosuid,nodev,users are the options.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    rw,umask=0,nosuid,nodev,users are the options.
    If you mean change the fstab so it says:

Code:
    /dev/hda6               /hda6                   vfat    ]rw,umask=0,nosuid,nodev,users  0 0
    I did so, and then I rebooted and then went into shell without starting X and saved a (tiny) text file onto /hda6/ successfully. However, as soon as I dropped into X it gave me the same business about it being a read-only filesystem.

Linux Engineer
    Try removing that random "]"

Just Joined!
    I'd like to clarify - I changed the fstab, rebooted, saw it didn't work, changed it back, rebooted again, and THEN came back on the forum to report on my progress. The code block is from a recreation of what the fstab had looked like, and the typo is in the recreation. So the original fstab didn't have the bracket.

Incidentally, I'm still having the problems -- I can write onto it until I fire up X (even in root) but then /hda6 becomes a read-only filesystem.