Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have two machines running FC3 that I keep udated with yum. I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 on both machines when it first came out. I used the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 acroread broken after FC3 updates

Hi,

I have two machines running FC3 that I keep udated with yum. I installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 on both machines when it first came out. I used the rpm on one and the tarball on the other. Acrobat reader worked fine until recently. Now, on both machines, it is broken. I type 'acroread' as a normal user and it exits immediately with no display. Curiously, when I run as root, I get the splash before exit.

I tried removing and reinstalling acroread on both systems, both rpm and non-rpm, but no cure. I strongly suspect that some time in the past few weeks, I updated a package that has broken acroread, but I have not yet rolled back any updates to confirm.

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone found the fix?

Where can I find an update history so I can try systematically rolling back the updates? Can yum do this for me, or do I have to go at each one with rpm?

I'm intrigued by the different behavior when acroread is run as root. Perhaps something to do with SELinux?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    That's useless. Use XPDF or KPDF.

That's why updates scare me Back when i was using RH9, i did an update and it broke GNOME! Totaly unsuable. Had to switch to KDE until Debian Sarge stable was released. I followed an update posted in an Debian email , and now i'm getting errors with apt-get/synaptic
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Just Joined!
    Fixed! Just noticed some new updates available, so I tested acroread again and confirmed it was still busted. Then I applied the updates. Bingo. acroread runs again. Here's what I applied:

bzip2.i386 0:1.0.2-13.FC3.1 bzip2-devel.i386 0:1.0.2-13.FC3.1 bzip2-libs.i386 0:1.0.2-13.FC3.1 checkpolicy.i386 0:1.17.5-1.2 ruby.i386 0:1.8.2-1.fc3.2 ruby-devel.i386 0:1.8.2-1.fc3.2 ruby-libs.i386 0:1.8.2-1.fc3.2 ruby-mode.i386 0:1.8.2-1.fc3.2 selinux-policy-targeted.noarch 0:1.17.30-3.9

Updating caused a huge number of '/sbin/restorecon reset contex' calls to various applications, probably including acroread, so my selinux/checkpolicy suspicion was probably well placed. One day I'm gonna RTFM on that selinux stuff.

Linux Newbie
    Use GGV.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    Use GGV, XPDF or whatever is useless advice in some situations.

I appreciate the religious zeal and all but...

I use Linux full time and need to read some documents that use features from acrobat 6+. That stuff is simply not supported in those libre readers and reading those documents is not optional for me.

I panicked when I lost acroread too. What a mess! I'll just tell myself that security is good and selinux helps. But Man!

On the lighter side, Flash player broke too. Most upsetting as one of my favorite webcomics is flash based.

I also noticed Sun Java and lapack broke. I'm glad I didn't lose any hair trying to recompile my grad projects before applying the update.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by humgut
    Fixed!
    Glad you got it going, humgut.

Sure wish Acroread weren't becoming so bloated. I've switched to Xpdf because of it.