Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need someone to help me diagnose and possibly solve problem with my printer installation. I have a Brother MFC-4420c inkjet printer that I am trying to install on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing printer on FC4 -HELP

I need someone to help me diagnose and possibly solve problem with my printer installation.

I have a Brother MFC-4420c inkjet printer that I am trying to install on my FC4 Linux system. This printer also has a flatbed scanner ,which I was successfully got to work in SUSE9.2. Actually I didnít do much to it, SUSE automatically recognized the scanner, but never got the printer to work on SUSE either.

A while back I had posted a question regarding the driver for my printer. I was pointed to this webiste:
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html
    But on this site, it talks about PPD, wrapper driver, lpd, BR-Script, etc. none of these Iím familiar with. Iíve even tried to contact brother regarding the Linux driver of this printer but havenít heard back from them.

Can someone please help me installing my printer on my current FC4 installation? I have no idea how to go about installing it, and the current auto-detect doesnít recognize the MFC-4420c.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I got this from brother:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is Japanese Solutions Center headquarters.
    Thank you for your inquiry.

We're very afraid we don't have a plan to develop
    the CUPS driver for MFC4420C.
    Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience.

With best regards,
    Brother Solutions Center

Linux Newbie
    You could try installing it with a generic PostScript (ps) driver. That works with most printers, and lets you print pretty much anything you want, but not much else.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I've got few more questions for you:

What's a PostScript (ps) driver?
    Where do I get it?
    How do I install it?

Linux Newbie
    A PostScript driver is a generic driver which works with almost all modern printers. It should already be in your system, so all you need to do is select it. Under system-config-printers, it would be called something like "Generic" or "PostScript"
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.