Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I'm planning to install Fedora core 4 on the second hard drive of a Dell Dimension 4300. I've installed Fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell Dimension 4300 - i386 or x86_64 ?

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

I'm planning to install Fedora core 4 on the second hard drive of a Dell Dimension 4300. I've installed Fedora 3 on my PC at home so I'm reasonably confident about attempting the installation.

However, I've just been to the Red Hat site and I'm unsure if I need i386 or x86_64 for the ISO files. Does anyone know which one it is likely to be? If not, where/how could I find out (I've tried googling it, but to no avail)

Thanks,

Daley

Linux Newbie
    It's probably i686, which would be compatible with i386. x86_64 is (for now) for AMD's 64-bit processors. If you have one of those, go with x86_64. If it's an Intel, or AMD non-64 (a.k.a. 32-bit) go with i386.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

it's not an amd. dell pc's ship with intel inside. i386 is what i used.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To further clarify, the x86_64 architecture applies only to AMD64 chips and Intel EM64T chips. All modern 32-bit chips fall into the i386,i486,i586, and i686 categories.

The Dell Dimension 4300 uses a Pentium 4 according to the specs I found on a search. That is a 32-bit i686 chip, which works with any of the i386-i686 architectures.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants