Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any other way to change the screen resolution besides editing the xorg.conf file or using the "display client" in fc3? i've tried editing my xorg.conf file, adding in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Changing Screen Resolution Without xorg.conf?

Is there any other way to change the screen resolution besides editing the xorg.conf file or using the "display client" in fc3?

i've tried editing my xorg.conf file, adding in a new screen resolution (1280x740) which i think is the right ratio for my LCD on my laptop. My screen ratio is 16:10.

i've read an article on commenting out the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines. When i did that they just got replaced with the same exact line and the commented ones got moved to the top, as you can see below. Everything on my screen looks too wide except in larger resolutions. But when i use the larger resolutions there are two black spaces that are not used on the left and right side of my monitor (i cannot move my mouse in them and nothing shows in them).

If anyone knows of any tutorials/how-to's or how i can go about fixing this i really would appreciate the help.

Section "Monitor"
    #HorizSync 31.5 - 100.0
    #VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "LCD Panel 1440x900"
    HorizSync 31.5 - 100.0
    VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x960" "1280x740" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x740" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Linux Engineer
    Try with DefaultDepth 16.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

No go. i think that just deals with how many colors the system uses.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Throw up some info about your monitor, I may be able to help. I have a WUXGA 1920x1200 and I have run it in lots of the 16:10 resolutions, maybe some of my config will help you.

It's a laptop and it's an lcd screen. It's an Alienware computer, an Area 51M. Unfortunatly the owners manual doens't have any information about who makes it or anything about else. All i know is it's an active matrix TFT LCD screen and it's a wide screen one. Is there any commands i can run that will help you out regarding my monitor or other hardware that could help with the problem?

try removing all the modes that dont apply or put the one u want default first in the line
    or since you have many resolutioens in xorc.conf yo can juust toggel through them with the 'ctrl alt + or -'
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

No go on either.. Another thing i tried was installing NVIDIA drivers instead of using the ones Linux has, it seems to have worked for the login screen but when i log into root or a user it goes to the weird resolution again. i am pretty sure it is working for the login screen anyway. When i delete lines from the xorg.conf file that load in module they get replaced somehow and the commented out line stays in though. That happens when i restart. The NVIDIA readme said to take out the lines that load "dri" and "GLCore". GLCore wasn't there but dri is and i can't get rid of it.