Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is teh error I get tring to ftp through my Firewall, but if I turn off teh firewall all works, I use FC2 and vsftpd, Anyone know teh fix?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

FTP Error: Cannot create a data connection: No route to host

This is teh error I get tring to ftp through my Firewall, but if I turn off teh firewall all works, I use FC2 and vsftpd, Anyone know teh fix?

Linux User
    how do you start as well as stop your firewall? a custom made script or configured using lokkit? post the output of "iptables -L" here

Linux Newbie
    Usually I use the system-security-tui and just enable eth0 as open, but I managed to get in now by not using the ftp pasive mode.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Once I got this same error message when trying to connect to my Slackware box running proftpd. For some reason, the Slackware box had the wrong IP address. So attempting to access it via name failed, because the translated IP address did not match the machine's address. Make sense? Basically, ftp.mine.me was DNS translated to 1.2.3.4, but the machine was set to 5.6.7.8. Ergo, no route to host 1.2.3.4.

Don't know if that helps, but you might want to check some of the "obvious stuff" first. It might just be a DNS error.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    I'm not up on the details, but I think ftp creates a reverse connection from the server to the client to transfer the data. If your firewall is blocking the incoming port (I think it's 22) the connection will fail. There's a PASV mode that you can run in ftp which avoids this problem.

Just Joined!

Reply FTP Error: Cannot create a data connection: No route to host

Hi,

This error only because of firewall. If you are using IPtables you can stop it for some time and try. It will work. Make necessary cahnges in rules to accept FTP connectios.

Thank you.
    Regards.
    fedoraHacker.

FTP Problems

Your FTP server is failing to connect more than likely because its not able to connect to the "DATA" port which is Port 20, the Command Channel or "CMD" Port is 21. Both of these need to be open in the firewall for a successful connection to occur.

You can read more about this at http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html