Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
im sorry i should have mentioned this before: the default fedora player reads "drive error" when i insert the disk, so i havent been able to check that...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

im sorry i should have mentioned this before: the default fedora player reads "drive error" when i insert the disk, so i havent been able to check that

Quote Originally Posted by Countergod
    im sorry i should have mentioned this before: the default fedora player reads "drive error" when i insert the disk, so i havent been able to check that
    This might actually be a permissions problem. Try logging out as your regular user and logging in as root. Then run your CD player program and see if you can access the drive. If that's the case, we can go from there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    okay well it detects the CD, however its not playing and the bar isnt moving.

I gotta go to lunch now, ill be back in an hour or two, sorry i cant give you more definite time

Quote Originally Posted by Countergod
    okay well it detects the CD, however its not playing and the bar isnt moving.
    Well if you're not getting a disc error then the first problem is that your regular user doesn't have permissions for your CDROM drive. There's a way to set this that involves modifying your /etc/fstab file, but I can't remember the exact fix off hand. Perhaps someone else can jog my memory?

If you're not getting errors but still unable to play audio CDs even as root, there's apparently a different problem there. When you get back give me a detailed description of what you're doing (what program you're running, what buttons you're pushing) and I'll do my best.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    okay heres the steps, this is probably more than you want and im prolly being a smartass but i figure give you every bit of information :P

1) turn on computer and watch it boot, then login to either root or regular user account
    2) insert CD, and watch application "CD Player" load
    3) watch it give me a drive error (btw i just closed CD player and reoppened it and it says "Drive Error" again, and im logged in as root.

Linux Newbie
    I've had this problem
    I think I had to add myself to the 'disk' group to get it to work

Just Joined!
    but shouldnt root be able to use the disk drive?

Just Joined!
    just did that still not playing though my normal user account isnt getting the drive error

Linux Newbie
    Personally I found I could play the discs as root...
    If it's a recent install, I'd say re-install, and add yourself to the disc group

Just Joined!
    im having a prob like that when i log in as root i can play the cd's but when in user modes i cant play them it reads drive error, anybody know how to actualy fix this not by adding to disc user group

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast