Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I get an MOTD of one sort or another, to show before a user logs into a computer via the gui interface? I know the prompt will show ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GUI Login and MOTD

How can I get an MOTD of one sort or another, to show before a user logs into a computer via the gui interface? I know the prompt will show the machine name above the prompt, any way to edit that?

This is assuming the machine is running all the time, and different users will log into it through out the day or week...

Any help would be appreciated, looking for a push in the right direction..

Thanks,

Steve

MOTD by definition shows up after the user logs in; you should perhaps look into changing the /etc/issue file...it's the one that displays before login. It usually says something like "Welcome to linux - Kernel \r (\l)." (each distro is a bit different) but you can change it to anything you like.

If you're using GDM, try using gdmconfig to change the look/feel.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    That does show up, but in the scrolling text. I don't see it until either just before the GUI kicks in (and it is ONLY a flash), or after the GUI shuts down... As mentioned, I can't say this machine will be restarted every time...

I more so need something for the GUI login screen or GUI Prompt...

Thanks,
    Steve

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Like I said, if you're using gdm as a login manager (which would be the default in a GUI Fedora or RedHat box) use gdmconfig to change the look and feel; I think there's an option for the login text, but I'm not positive.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok, the GDM Config didn't do what I needed, so I talked to a unix guy here and he helped me out with the following (although he was CL based, definitely NOT GUI based....kept wondering why I wanted everything GUI...typical...)

I put the following line in the Xsessions file located in the /etc/X11/xdm directory:

if [ -f /etc/motd ]; then
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -buttons Accept -default Accept -file /etc/motd/ -center
    fi

It works pretty well, when the user logs into the gui, it pops up a box that draws from the message of the day file, which is edited with our required message.

Thanks again for the comments/replies.

Steve

That's actually a pretty cool way of doing it...I'm having an "I should have thought of that" moment. Give him my compliments for a creative and effective solution.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
    That's actually a pretty cool way of doing it...I'm having an "I should have thought of that" moment. Give him my compliments for a creative and effective solution.

I did this just now, it worked great!

thanks!