Find the answer to your Linux question:
EDIT2: figured it out on my own. Thanks everyone for the help on the first issue though. EDIT: display problem: Ok, got FC4 working but caused a new problem in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

changing display settings in Linux (solved)

EDIT2: figured it out on my own. Thanks everyone for the help on the first issue though.
    EDIT: display problem:
    Ok, got FC4 working but caused a new problem in the setup. I set my display resolution too high and now when it boots to FC4 I get a display setting not supported message. How do I edit the display settings either from FC3 (still working, what I'm in right now) or from a command line in FC4? (implied task being getting to a command line before the display issues come into play)

What files contain the information for this setting? What am I looking for in those files?
    /edit

OK, a little explanation of my system.

2 HDs not positive on which partitions are which. I'll double check and correct as needed.
    hda1 Win XP
    hda2 FC3
    hdc1 FAT32 extra storage for windows
    hdc2 was extra storage for LIN but installed FC4 to it.

During set up I told FC4 to install the boot loader on hda1 as my understandiing is that's where it needs to be to come up during normal boot.

When I restarted my computer after the install I had only the win XP and FC3 options. (well, and a FC2 option but thats another story)

So the question is where do i go and what do I do to point my boot menu to FC4 on my second HD?

I'm still pretty damn new to all of this so please give any advice as if I'm stupid

-Dan, the super newb

Where did FC3 put it's install of grub? It's probably on the boot sector of hda.

You should be able to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to include the entries from both FC3 and FC4 installs. You should also ask FC4 to install grub on the boot sector of hda:

grub-install /dev/hda

Just Joined!
    i'm having a similar problem.

the FC4 .isos i've downloaded want to correct the issue but then don't

when i boot with FC4 disk 1 and try to update the system it recognizes that my boot loader is not working. but when it goes through the updates it gives me the message that ' there was no change to the kernel so it won't change the boot loader'

after going through that i did a little search on the weeb and found this handy fourm, saw that some other folks are having the same issues. i found a faq but it mainly figures on rebuilding from the linux side of things.

however i did find a grub.iso at (http://www.sh.nu/download/floppy_images/) version 0.93

now my box has two drives.

-first has 3 partitions with Xp on the first (C formatted in the non-FAT (NTFS?)
    -second has the FC4 setup with no other partitions setup on my part (just the 3 on install) Fat 32 format originally (don't know if FC4 has its own format)

if someone can give me a step by step procedure to set up a boot loader (please use baby steps) it would be most helpful.

after i can access FC4 and wreak it a couple times i can bug you all further for more help :P ( i learn by trial and error)

any help at all would be great.

thanks
    -Rom

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Where did FC3 put it's install of grub? It's probably on the boot sector of hda.

You should be able to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to include the entries from both FC3 and FC4 installs. You should also ask FC4 to install grub on the boot sector of hda:

grub-install /dev/hda
    What will I be looking for/adding in grub.conf?

Edit: and what would I use to edit it in Linux?

In grub.conf, you will see sections for each of the kernel images you have on the hard disks, each one begins with a 'title' line, here's an example from my FC2 server:

Code:
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=1
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
            initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.771_FC2)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.771_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
            initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.771_FC2.img
    as you can see each 'title' line tells grub which hard disk and partition (not the normal /dev/hd[n] type name, 'cos /dev doesn't exist until after booting) the image is on, and what it's name is.

Each of your installs will have sections telling its own version of grub which hard disk and partition it can find the boot images on. The hard disk and partition info will be different for each.

All you should have to do is insert a 'title' line from each into the grub.conf you're using, making sure they have different titles, and grub should be able to boot them both.

If you're coming from windows, then gedit will probably serve you quite well, but it works in X. If you're just running from the command line, then take a look at the man page for the vim text editor to find out how to cut and paste, (and how to save and exit) and use that.

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Ok, got it working but caused a new problem in the setup. I set my display resolution too high and now when it boots to FC4 I get a display setting not supported message. How do I edit the display settings either from FC3 (still working, what I'm in right now) or from a command line in FC4? (implied task being getting to a command line before the display issues come into play)

What files contain the information for this setting? What am I looking for in those files?

Thanks for all your help so far too.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dantose
    Ok, got it working but caused a new problem in the setup. I set my display resolution too high and now when it boots to FC4 I get a display setting not supported message. How do I edit the display settings either from FC3 (still working, what I'm in right now) or from a command line in FC4? (implied task being getting to a command line before the display issues come into play)

Thanks for all your help so far too.
    I have a same problem in fedora core 5.
    now i can't login too system because i don't see anything.
    monitor says the resolution is too h.
    How can i edit the display setting in text mode and can i set it back?

thanks.
    please send a copy to: sghazagh@yahoo.com