Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, so I finally installed FC4 and everything looks great. Except I can't get my network working. It detects my network card and says it gets an IP, but still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No internet connection

Alright, so I finally installed FC4 and everything looks great. Except I can't get my network working. It detects my network card and says it gets an IP, but still no internet. Even had a FC user come over and try to help. I've also tried other netowrk cards. Any one got any ideas?

-Negid

Just Joined!

Did u disabled selinux and firewall ?

Do that using system-config-securitylevel

Njoy

Just Joined!

Re: No internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by negid
    Alright, so I finally installed FC4 and everything looks great. Except I can't get my network working. It detects my network card and says it gets an IP, but still no internet. Even had a FC user come over and try to help. I've also tried other netowrk cards. Any one got any ideas?

-Negid
    on your terminal type "neat" (without the quotes)

see if your network card is configured properly or not. most of the times you have to activate your network connection manually to start the internet connection.

also merely having an ip is not enough. you need to create a connection first. depends on what kind of connection you ar using, cable, dial up, dsl and the like.

tell me what connection are u using

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sorry I meant to say I am using my school network. So it's a LAN connection.

Linux Newbie
    Are you sure you have no internet connection? or is it just that when you type www.google.com into your browser you get an error. I've seen in the past an FC machine on a lan have difficulties getting the DNS resolved properly. Try typing 64.233.161.104 into your browser's address bar. If google loads, then all you've got is a dns problem.
    Find out the ip of the dns on your network (use a windows machine to do nslookup on the command line) Then put this ip into the dns section of system-config-network.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    do the thing n3wo just told you......but before you do that u need to make sure that you have an active connection up and running before you try that.

su as root and type

neat

if u see that you have set ur IP etc correctly, then click on activate and try if u can connect.

restart your network by typing:

service-network-restart

please post the output of:
    ifconfig

Just Joined!
    2 things to check:

1) Do you have a default route? as root, enter: route -n
    and make sure there is a default route that looks like:
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

The 0.0.0.0 at the beginning of the line indicates this is the default route, the UG indicates this is a gateway entry.
    If there is no default route, the school's DHCP server isn't handing out the info

2) Your school's network may use a proxy server as well. If so, you likely need to manually define the proxy server in your browser's config.

Just Joined!

Connection Problem in redhat

Quote Originally Posted by n3wo
    Are you sure you have no internet connection? or is it just that when you type www.google.com into your browser you get an error. I've seen in the past an FC machine on a lan have difficulties getting the DNS resolved properly. Try typing 64.233.161.104 into your browser's address bar. If google loads, then all you've got is a dns problem.
    Find out the ip of the dns on your network (use a windows machine to do nslookup on the command line) Then put this ip into the dns section of system-config-network.
    Hi guys,
    I am, too, experiencing the same problem. 64.233.161.104 works for my browser but not www.google.com. Pardon me for my ignorance but where do I find the dns section of the "system-config-network"? Btw, I am using wireless connection. Thanks in advance.