Find the answer to your Linux question:
After installation of FC4, I found the machine would be halted when starting Eclipse 3.1 bundled with FC4. Then I planned to install Jbuilder 2005 and found that the LAX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems on Java in Fedora Core 4

After installation of FC4, I found the machine would be halted when starting Eclipse 3.1 bundled with FC4. Then I planned to install Jbuilder 2005 and found that the LAX installer would be halted with a InvalidTargetException. Fortunately, I found there is a substitute approach to install it: download JDK 1.5 and use it to launch the installer program manually. However, after the installation of Jbuilder, I still found that the InvalidTargetExecption and other exceptions would be thrown out during launching jbuilder program, even though I reconfigured the JDK version to 1.5.
    It seems that the problem occurred in the OpenTools classes of Jbuilder, but I still doubt that the actual problem lies in the linux kernel. I downladed the latest stable kernel: 2.6.13 and installed it, but the problem remained.
    Is there anyone who would help me to install my Jbuilder successfully or tell me how to solve the problem?

Not possible according to requirements

I was attempting to do the same thing, that is, install JBuilder Foundation 2005 for linux, and I was having troubles as well. On my system, I am running Fedora Core 6, and I was not able to install it because it could not find shared object files, which my system doesn't have. I looked into the requirements on the installation readme file, and it states that you must have "Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 3.0 with default GNOME or KDE desktop managers, or Sun JavaTM Desktop System Release 2" ( quoted straight from the file ). Well, I know I don't have Enterprise Linux 3.0 with default GNOME or KDE desktop managers.

As for the Sun Java Desktop System Release 2, currently Release 3 is available for Solaris 10, but not for Fedora Core 6, so it looks like we may be stymied on this one.

My solution to this problem is to learn a new IDE. I have used already, and really enjoy using Eclipse. I would suggest you check it out to do Java Development work.

Quote Originally Posted by huckphin
    I was attempting to do the same thing, that is, install JBuilder Foundation 2005 for linux, and I was having troubles as well. On my system, I am running Fedora Core 6, and I was not able to install it because it could not find shared object files, which my system doesn't have. I looked into the requirements on the installation readme file, and it states that you must have "Red HatŪ Enterprise Linux 3.0 with default GNOME or KDE desktop managers, or Sun JavaTM Desktop System Release 2" ( quoted straight from the file ). Well, I know I don't have Enterprise Linux 3.0 with default GNOME or KDE desktop managers.
    If you still want to use JBuilder, you can download a free version of Redhat Enterprise here:

http://www.centos.org

My solution to this problem is to learn a new IDE. I have used already, and really enjoy using Eclipse. I would suggest you check it out to do Java Development work.
    I also recommend Eclipse. We use it at my office.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants