Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was stupid enough to let one of my mates into a SSH tunnel on my linux box, And he was annoying enough to change the default runlevel to 0, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Unhappy Changing INITTAB

I was stupid enough to let one of my mates into a SSH tunnel on my linux box, And he was annoying enough to change the default runlevel to 0,
    Any idea what that does? It lets it boot, goes to runlevel 0 and shutsdown!
    Now i cant change the init level, and all i can do with my beautiful linux box is watch it chase its tail all day :S
    Help? I know there is the linux recovery, that has emacs. But i couldent figure out how to mount the file system to access /dev/hda1/etc/inittab
    Commands? help?
    Thanks,
    Nathan

Boot up with the Install disk, select the Rescue option.
    Once at the command line you will have to chroot in, then you will be able to make the necessary changes.

http://www.tjw.org/chroot-login-HOWTO/
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are booting with grub, maybe you can edit the grub command line before the system boots.

just press "e" for edit
    scroll down to the kernel line and press "e" again
    then add a "3" (or whatever level you want) to the end of the kernel line and press enter
    then press "b" for boot

When the system comes up, you can go in and edit inittab as desired.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    If you are booting with grub, maybe you can edit the grub command line before the system boots.

just press "e" for edit
    scroll down to the kernel line and press "e" again
    then add a "3" (or whatever level you want) to the end of the kernel line and press enter
    then press "b" for boot

When the system comes up, you can go in and edit inittab as desired.
    If you're using LILO instead of Grub, you can do the same thing - it lets you edit the parameters passed to the kernel at boot time, too.

With either you should have set a boot password, so they have to type a password before they are allowed to edit any parameters.

And change your root password - dont let your mate SSH in again with full privileges. A normal user in Linux doesn't need root access unless they're being the sysadmin (which, on the face of it, you dont want to let your mate do).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I'd like to thank Ozar and Roxoff for this post. I was installing RHEL 6.1 Beta and I changed 3 to 5 in inittab, the former being the default value. Now I was able to change it back to 3. I am trying to figure out why 5 value would not work.