Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to create desktop shortcuts on linux?

I have a small software which uses shell scripts to launch it. I would like to create shortcuts in the Start menu or desktop for the shell scripts. How can I do that?
    I want to use command line to create the shorcuts.

Which reminds me. I am a novice on linux. Currently I use XManager or VNC to connect to my linux box to get a windows like emulation. Is it possible to configure a linux box where you can only connect via telnet, ssh etc and not via XManager etc. I mean is it possible to configure a linux machine where you cannot connect via a graphical emulation? If yes, how do I check for it, because in that case I would not like to create those shortcuts. I want shortcuts only to be created when the linux box can be connected via XManager etc.

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    ok. im also new to linux but i think what you need is to right click a blank section of your desktop and select "Create Launcher" this will then launch a window where you can choose the icon, shortcut name, and browse a path to the icon name...
    hope this is what you were after
    good luck

or you can create soft link to your file.
    the directory of the linking file should be yours desktop.

command for creating soft links,

ln -s file1 file2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi,
    to crreate a short for any application..
    follow these steps:
    1. open terminal or konsole
    2. use the command ln -s TARGET /home/username/Desktop/linkname..
    3. it create a shortcut with name linkname! refresh your desktop to see the short cut..

Regards
    Chandra Sekhar

Quote Originally Posted by rubalsher
    I have a small software which uses shell scripts to launch it. I would like to create shortcuts in the Start menu or desktop for the shell scripts. How can I do that?
    I want to use command line to create the shorcuts.

Which reminds me. I am a novice on linux. Currently I use XManager or VNC to connect to my linux box to get a windows like emulation. Is it possible to configure a linux box where you can only connect via telnet, ssh etc and not via XManager etc. I mean is it possible to configure a linux machine where you cannot connect via a graphical emulation? If yes, how do I check for it, because in that case I would not like to create those shortcuts. I want shortcuts only to be created when the linux box can be connected via XManager etc.

Thanks.