Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I bought a laptop a while back with Linux with KDE installed. I didn't know at the time but hve since worked out that the drive is partition and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    me!

Locked out of system! Help!

Hi:

I bought a laptop a while back with Linux with KDE installed. I didn't know at the time but hve since worked out that the drive is partition and half is taken with Windows.

I never use Windows anymore so was trying via the forums to find a way to get rid of this and replace it with Linux. In the meanwhile my disk seems to have been filing up ...

Just now I tried to login and can't! I get back the error 'GDM could not write to your authorization file. This could mean that you are out of disk space or that your home directry could not be opened for writing'.

What do I do? Isn't there some spare memory capacity I can use while deleting a few files?

me!

me!
    So far I managed to open a 'failsafe' terminal and get to user. I thought I would delete some folders that don't matter. I manage to delete a file in user with rm but it won't let me cd to my folders within user and it won't let me rm files within these folders. What am I doing wrong?

Ooops did not see that last post...

me!
    It seems quite bizarre to me: I can ls and get the contents of user including folders and the files in the folders. But then I try rm /[folder] or cd /[folder] and it says 'no such file or directory' ...

You don't want those slashes in front of the folder names! Pathnames beginning with a / are in the root directory so it's not surprising that when Linux looks there, it can't find them if they're actually in your home directory. In any case, subdirectories of the root directory are part of the system and shouldn't be deleted.

If you have a folder called thingummyjig in your home directory and you want to get rid of it and its contents, just go into the home directory and type "rm -R thingummyjig". You will need the "-R" option to make it recursive, i.e. remove all the subdirectories and files within it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    How do you open a failsafe terminal?