Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello, i have just recently installed redhat linux 9 onto my laptop and i wish to find a way to use my portble hard drive, but my drivers cd doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question usb external hard drive installation

hello,

i have just recently installed redhat linux 9 onto my laptop and i wish to find a way to use my portble hard drive, but my drivers cd doesn't have drivers that support linux.

how can i overcome this?

usually for something like this, it just works... like my MP3 player just shows as an external hard disk in windows, in linux, i just plug it in and mount it...

try running:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    as a root user on the computer, it should show something like
    /dev/sda
    NOTE: the "a" maybe another letter, and this will be the device, it will then list the partitions underneath it as a regular hard disk eg /dev/sda1 etc.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    i have tried various things with trying to get it to work, i shall try your suggestion when i get the chance.

but i have gotten through most of the problems i have came up with, such as
    mount: mount point auto does not exist. and various others,

thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    IIRC RedHat 9 (i.e. a very old redhat release) had patchy support for USB. The best option is probably for you to use a more up-to-date distribution. If you like RedHat linux,then you probably want to move to Fedora Core, which are the direct successors, but you can also go for a distro like CentOS which is taken from RedHat Enterprise source code, and is binary compatible. These distros should cleanly upgrade from RH9 - I know I had no problems doing that.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    i have checked with fdisk -l and it only shows my harddrive with it's 3 partitions... nothing there about my usb drive.

and in reply to you roxoff, i do not have the time do aquire another linux dist, nor the time to install linux again... took 4 n half hours to do it (my laptop is increadibly slow, 32mb ram!)

Quote Originally Posted by lucask39
    i have checked with fdisk -l and it only shows my harddrive with it's 3 partitions... nothing there about my usb drive.
    It cannot have the support built in for it in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by lucask39
    and in reply to you roxoff, i do not have the time do aquire another linux dist, nor the time to install linux again... took 4 n half hours to do it (my laptop is increadibly slow, 32mb ram!)
    This might take a short time, but wont take as long as downloading/installing a new distribution... what you could do is try updating the kernel to a newer version... i assume Red Hat 9 is using the 2.4.x kernel, you should be able to get a working 2.6.x kernel on there, it may take a short while (about an hour ish) to get it working, but once that's working, then you should be able to enable USB support, and therefore plug in the USB drive, and it should show in fdisk -l

Just Joined!
    ah ok cool,

can you direct me to a website where i can download kernel 2.6 or a newer version?

What u might want to do is to install the kernel-source for the current version so you get a working config file for the kernel, then you can download the latest kernel from www.kernel.org and using the original config file, you should be able to install the newer kernel.
    If that makes sense?? I'm just reading it back myself, and i cant think of a better way to describe it!

Installing the kernel sources will probably install the configuration file in /boot somewhere, i know on SuSE it's a file called:
    config-<version>
    where <version> is the version of the kernel sources that you installed eg: 2.4.28-default

Banned
    Also unplug the drive
    run
    Code:
    dmesg
    then plu it in, run dmesg again and give us any lines that are different.
    The last 5 lines should suffice

Just Joined!
    here is what comes up when i plug in my usb. (without using dmesg)

[root@localhost root]# usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4cf/0x8818) is not claimed by and active driver.
    Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: MP0402H Rev: UC20
    Type: Direct-access ANSI SCSI revision:02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast