Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got Fedora 5 working mint (thanks in large part to this awesome website: ttp://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php ... the guy deserves a metal). Anyhoo, I want to reconfigure the kernel to squeeze ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wanted: Recompile Kernel How-to

I've got Fedora 5 working mint (thanks in large part to this awesome website: ttp://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php ... the guy deserves a metal). Anyhoo, I want to reconfigure the kernel to squeeze out that last bit of performance. Problem is I've failed recompiling the kernel the last few times (w/ other versions of Fedora/Red hat) and I'm really nervous about screwing it up again. I'm looking for a really well written kernel how-to that's specifically for Fedora Core 5 (if that's possible). Anyone?

Just Joined!
    if you find out let me know also...

I may not be ideal, but here is one (unofficial), for Fedora Core 4 :
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc4.html

Or this one from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Manual :
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...om-kernel.html

As of RHEL 4, the instructions for building a custom kernel are no longer present in the manual :
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4: System Administration Guide
    Please note, that building a custom kernel is not supported by the Red Hat Global Services Support team, and therefore is not explored in this manual.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee