Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, wat should i modify or add so tht i can boot into single user mode....am using Redhat 9.0..Suse has "failsafe" option which can be selected during the start of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to enter in to single user mode from Grub???

hi,
    wat should i modify or add so tht i can boot into single user mode....am using Redhat 9.0..Suse has "failsafe" option which can be selected during the start of boot procees itself....however i observed tht we cannot choose failsafe option untill we get to the login screen incase of Redhat.....i have read somwhere we can edit some options via grub to boot into single user mode.....does any one know wat to edit......or is there any other way around....to get into single user mode.....

any help will be appreciated....

Thanks
    Greenday

At the grub boot menu, select the option that lets you edit the kernel parameters. Add either a '1' or 'single' to the end of the kernel parameters, then continue booting up.

Dont get paranoid about this, not knowing it doesn't make you an American Idiot...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    At the grub boot menu, select the option that lets you edit the kernel parameters. Add either a '1' or 'single' to the end of the kernel parameters, then continue booting up.

Dont get paranoid about this, not knowing it doesn't make you an American Idiot...
    thanks for reply,

these r the options in grub menu

e- edit commands before booting,
    c- command line,
    a- modify the kernel arguments before booting.

so i selected 'e'.....it took me to one more menu which has three options

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img

which of the following should i add the "single' or '1'...i tried with the seond one ..doesnt seem to work.....am i doing something wrong

btw goodone on "american idiot" ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday
    thanks for reply,

these r the options in grub menu

e- edit commands before booting,
    c- command line,
    a- modify the kernel arguments before booting.

so i selected 'e'.....it took me to one more menu which has three options

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img

which of the following should i add the "single' or '1'...i tried with the seond one ..doesnt seem to work.....am i doing something wrong

btw goodone on "american idiot" ha ha
    It's option A, I believe. But try it; if it's wrong, reboot with the reset button!

ps. Green Day are one of my favourite bands...

Just Joined!
    It's option A, I believe. But try it; if it's wrong, reboot with the reset button!

ps. Green Day are one of my favourite bands...

Thanks again....

I did add '1' to the first option "root(hd0,0)1"....it boots but it is again entering runlevel 5 automaticallly even after this.....any idea y this is happening even after adding '1'.....

It's probably one of the others then... but what you do is when the boot menu appears, select the right option and you'll get to edit the command line parameters, they'll look a bit like the kernel line from grub.conf, just stick a 1 at the end of that (dont edit grub.conf btw, unless you always want to boot up in single user mode...)

Just Joined!
    It's probably one of the others then... but what you do is when the boot menu appears, select the right option and you'll get to edit the command line parameters, they'll look a bit like the kernel line from grub.conf, just stick a 1 at the end of that (dont edit grub.conf btw, unless you always want to boot up in single user mode...)

thanks for all your help...its the second option.....a space have to be there between the '/' and the '1' we add.....i wasn't giving the space.....it works now....

thanks again...

Greenday