Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Can somebody help me mount a cd rom? I was trying to research online and read books but it wasn't clear on how to exactly mount. It said something about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting a CD ROM

Can somebody help me mount a cd rom? I was trying to research online and read books but it wasn't clear on how to exactly mount. It said something about /etc/fstab?
    I'm running FC5.

Thanks.

look where your cdrom is mounted by looking at /etc/fstab

less /etc/fstab

you should see an entry for your cdrom then

as root

mount /mnt/cdrom [where /mnt/cdrom is the location of your mountpoint that you saw in fstab]
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

You shouldn't have to manually mount a CDROM in Fedora Core 5, but here's how you might do it:

Code:
    mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom
    The above code assumes your CDROM device is named /dev/hda but it could be /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc as well. The code also assumes you have a directory in your /mnt/ directory named "cdrom". You probably have one in your /media/ directory. In that case, replace "/mnt/cdrom/" with "/media/cdrom".

Again, you shouldn't have to manually mount a CDROM in Fedora. If you do, something might have gone wrong with your install.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I don't see anything with cdrom. When I do a "less /etc/fstab", I only see:
    /boot
    /dev/pts
    /dev/shm
    /proc
    /sys
    swap

Am I supposed to do something else with it? Manually edit the file?

Just Joined!
    to techiemoe:

When you say with FC5 I don't need to manually mount, then how do I access my CD Rom drive? I thought you have to mount it, then you can browse to that mount point. If it automounts, where will that be located? I do have a /media folder but under that, there is nothing.
    Also, I have tried to go through the gui, and when I double click on it, it says "Unable to mount media, there is probably no media". It has the same error when I right click the drive and click on "Moun volume".

please post the exact contents of /etc/fstab here!
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Contents of "/etc/fstab"

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by charlesachang
    to techiemoe:

When you say with FC5 I don't need to manually mount, then how do I access my CD Rom drive? I thought you have to mount it, then you can browse to that mount point.
    On some distributions of Linux this in indeed the case. Fedora, SuSE and Ubuntu however generally mount CDs/DVDs for you upon insertion.

If it automounts, where will that be located? I do have a /media folder but under that, there is nothing.
    An icon *should* pop up on your desktop that lets you browse the CDROM. You should also have *something* in your /media/ folder. Something definitely went wrong when you installed Fedora. Don't worry though, by editing your /etc/fstab you can fix this.

Also, I have tried to go through the gui, and when I double click on it, it says "Unable to mount media, there is probably no media". It has the same error when I right click the drive and click on "Moun volume".
    Have you tried manually mounting the drive using the command I gave you? The problem could be with the drive itself.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I tried to do your manual command and I get the error, "mount: you must specficy the filesystem type". I also tried using the auto command that I found online, (i think it's "-t auto"), but it still gave the same error.
    Also, there is no icon that pops up on my desktop when I put in a cdrom.
    The cdrom shouldn't be a problem because this machine previously had windows on it with no cdrom problems.

I'm just starting to learn linux so thanks for helping me guys.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesachang
    I tried to do your manual command and I get the error, "mount: you must specficy the filesystem type". I also tried using the auto command that I found online, (i think it's "-t auto"), but it still gave the same error.
    Ok. Try and get it set up using your /etc/fstab.

Also, there is no icon that pops up on my desktop when I put in a cdrom.
    The cdrom shouldn't be a problem because this machine previously had windows on it with no cdrom problems.
    In my personal experience, the fact that a piece of hardware works in MS Windows does not really mean much. MS Windows, I've found, is a LOT more forgiving of dead/dying hardware than Linux. I've had harddrives with bad sectors and CDROM/DVDROM drives whose motors were shot still work (albeit fitfully) in MS Windows even though they didn't in Linux.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast