Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Fedora Core 5 with kde 3.5.2. In GNOME, the graphical package installer would always work fine. You could just double click a package and that would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Can't install packages graphically in KDE, association problem?

I am using Fedora Core 5 with kde 3.5.2. In GNOME, the graphical package installer would always work fine. You could just double click a package and that would be it. But I installed FC5 with only KDE and when I double click a saved RPM file, an "open with" dialog box comes up. I've attempted to associate rpm file in kde with pup or pirut, the FC5 package install and update utitlities, but with no luck. They will not open the RPM file, saying no rpm file has been given for install.

Oddly enough, when I download rpms in a recent version of firefox, I am able to install them not by saving them, but by electing to OPEN them instead. This works because Firefox automatically associates RPM files with the rpm installer ("software installer" as it appears in Firefox download window). This is the only way I am able to graphically install RPMs under KDE. I CAN do it using the command line with RPM command, but I wish to do it graphically.

So my question to you is, how do I invoke the Fedora software installer (with exact SAME functionality as in GNOME) under KDE? I think it's a matter of file associations, but I've had no luck approaching it from that angle. Any and all help is appreciated. I can not be the only one having this problem.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgarfield12
    I am using Fedora Core 5 with kde 3.5.2. In GNOME, the graphical package installer would always work fine. You could just double click a package and that would be it. But I installed FC5 with only KDE and when I double click a saved RPM file, an "open with" dialog box comes up. I've attempted to associate rpm file in kde with pup or pirut, the FC5 package install and update utitlities, but with no luck. They will not open the RPM file, saying no rpm file has been given for install.

Oddly enough, when I download rpms in a recent version of firefox, I am able to install them not by saving them, but by electing to OPEN them instead. This works because Firefox automatically associates RPM files with the rpm installer ("software installer" as it appears in Firefox download window). This is the only way I am able to graphically install RPMs under KDE. I CAN do it using the command line with RPM command, but I wish to do it graphically.

So my question to you is, how do I invoke the Fedora software installer (with exact SAME functionality as in GNOME) under KDE? I think it's a matter of file associations, but I've had no luck approaching it from that angle. Any and all help is appreciated. I can not be the only one having this problem.
    If it's any consolation, I'm wondering the same thing with the same problem and have no answer either....