Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This is a different question but on the same track. As mentioned above fedora doesnt come with bulitin ntfs support. I have 2 disks from my earlier windows installation. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

This is a different question but on the same track. As mentioned above fedora doesnt come with bulitin ntfs support. I have 2 disks from my earlier windows installation. I think they were formatted with FAT 32(it has been 2 yrs since i used those disks). The device browser graphical interface in fedora also showed them as fat32. Hence I have been mounting them with vfat. Is there a possibility that device browser showed fat32 simply because it didnt know anything about ntfs? Is there a definite way to determine the filesystem on a disk?

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmemon
    Is there a definite way to determine the filesystem on a disk?
    Yes, in terminal, type:
    Code:
    /sbin/fdisk -l
    It should show you the filesystems of your partitions .

Edit: You cannot mount NTFS partition with VFAT. I'm sure those partitions you mounted with VFAT are either Fat32 or Fat16 .

Pavlo,

I did everything you detailed in your posts, I have the same kernel and processor, and Im still receiving unknown filesystem 'ntfs' error... I did fdisk and I see hda, sdc, and eda, all of which I've tried and none worked..

Any ideas?
    -Capt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi CaptainMorgan
    did you install kernel-module-ntfs?
    sre you sure that windows filesystem type is ntfs?
    anyway first you have to make a directory when windows will be mounted
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/windows
    than mount it
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdaX /mnt/windows
    if you have sata disk than type sda instead hda
    that x means a number of your partition
    check
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    to see on which partition is windows installed
    after that you should edit your fstab (and optional make a symbolic link of /mnt/windows to dir everywhere you want...thats for easyer use)
    if you want to make symbolic link on your desktop than type
    Code:
    ln -sf /mnt/windows ~/Desktop/windows

i hope that helps

Hi CaptainMorgan !!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan
    I did everything you detailed in your posts, I have the same kernel and processor, and Im still receiving unknown filesystem 'ntfs' error... I did fdisk and I see hda, sdc, and eda, all of which I've tried and none worked..
    you are getting this error coz you did not install correct kernel patch......
    $ uname -a

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 #1 Tue Jul 11 22:55:46 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

this is output from my machine.....
    not the output(bold)...
    download and install rpm from this link...it should match with the output of 'uname'

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan

Any ideas?
    As devils_casper suggested, you would get this error if installed module does not match the version of the running kernel.
    I can think of few reasons of how this can happen:

1) Asuming this is your first time installing the module, and you install wrong module.

2) This is NOT your first time trying to install correct module, and since the command:
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh kernel-module....
    actually updates existing pakage, and only installs new package if it was not previously installed, you can end up using old package which, even though was updated, does not function properly.

3) You update your system after installing module and the system is now using different kernel

In any case, I would try uninstalling existing module and try installing the correct module again.

Here are some links that may be helpful when you do that:
    http://forum.linux-ntfs.org/viewforum.php?f=8
    http://forum.linux-ntfs.org/viewtopi...c09bc6cbd2d485

Just wanted to say thanks folks(albeit four months late ). Been working smoothly in this time. Cheers.

-Capt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2