Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well First off, I'm new and all to linux and since I've progressed in computer knowledge I thought I would start getting into linux. So I chose Fedora of course ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora wont launch into GUI

Well First off, I'm new and all to linux and since I've progressed in computer knowledge I thought I would start getting into linux. So I chose Fedora of course :P

Well... I installed Fedora core 5 on my spare computer I don't use. I plan on using it as a server. Its not the greatest computer but its just to learn with. Nothings better than experience

Welll It went to the command line.. I don't have any users set up so I used the root login. I typed startx which I believe to be the command to get into the GUI and it went to a black screen. I waited and pressed a bunch of buttons to get back to the command line.

Help would be MUCH appreciated!

~Gscope

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gscope
    Well First off, I'm new and all to linux and since I've progressed in computer knowledge I thought I would start getting into linux. So I chose Fedora of course :P

Well... I installed Fedora core 5 on my spare computer I don't use. I plan on using it as a server. Its not the greatest computer but its just to learn with. Nothings better than experience

Welll It went to the command line.. I don't have any users set up so I used the root login. I typed startx which I believe to be the command to get into the GUI and it went to a black screen. I waited and pressed a bunch of buttons to get back to the command line.

Help would be MUCH appreciated!

~Gscope
    Ooh, yay , a problem. Eggskellent, okay, you could type "init 5" which will change the run level to 5, or if you want it to boot into runlevel 5, change the inittab file (thats in /etc) to say id:5:initdefault: whatever you do, (if you get a bit experimental) dont change it to 0, its not a wise idea. Alternativley, you could type GDM or XDM, or even perchance KDM, and i think they start whichever graphical frontend of you choice, Let me know how it goes dude!

--Ryn

Did you choose a desktop environment during the install (GNOME is chosen by default).

Do you get any errors when you type startx?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Mmmk well Isnt changing the inittab file to 3 or 5 just make the GUI start up as default? I can log on the command line just fine its just that when I type StartX it goes black. So its the GUI thats messed up I suppose. I dont get any errors when I type startx all it does is flicker to black and then I hear my computer load ... like it just isnt wanting to display what is happening on the monitor.

And by type GDM or XDM, or KDM do you mean type that on the command line ??

and It didnt really ask me to choose between enviroments... It might be because I chose to set it up as a webserver and not as a desktop computer. hmm I might need to reinstall let me know what you think.

Just Joined!
    from the command line, run
    system-config-monitor

you can select your video card and monitor from there. I had the smae problem and this was the simplest solution.

Also, I have the same issue with the GUI not loading from the boot. I think its the way I installed the OS.. had to in order to get past the black screen your talking about.

At least this will fix the black screen on boot from startX.

From there, I feel your pain, but its at least now able for me to boot, bet you'll have the same luck.

gscope,
    If I'm right, you cannot login to GUI as 'root' in Fedora (?!). Create a regular user account, login to it and then try startx.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    You can log in as root if you have access to the command line at boot.

I have to log in as root (or at least had to) when I booted. I ahd 2 issues:

1 - wrong monitor in the setup - gave me a blank gui screen which never resolved
    2 - no new user account created at first install

When I installed, I had to with command line option checked, the gui option just wouldn't work. It, howver, did give me a command line with the login prompt.. I logged in using the root and password for root. From there, I types in the monitor config command and changed that. startX works fine after that.

So, yes, you can log in as root from boot, but only if you have the command line to do so. Otherwise your going to end up with a GUI asking which user you want to boot with.