Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm new to Linux so please bear with me. Unfortunatley, I've spent the last 25 years looking at computers via DOS prompts and Windows icons and such, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy upgraded FC2 to FC5 - now getting kernel panic!

Hi all,

I'm new to Linux so please bear with me. Unfortunatley, I've spent the last 25 years looking at computers via DOS prompts and Windows icons and such, so getting my head around Linux is a bit of a change!

About a week ago I decided to dump WinXP-Sp2 from my web server and install a distribution of Linux Fedora Core 2 I bought a couple of years ago (yes, just could never get the courage to install it!).

The installation went fine and I've spent the last week playing around with it and learning how to do things in Linux.

Then I found that there is Core 5 available. So, I downloaded the DVD ISO image for the x86 and burnt it onto a DVD via another WinXP-Sp2 PC.

I then ran the DVD setup onto the Core 2 PC and selected 'upgrade'. This all went fine (took about 4 hours to install!).

But on the first re-boot (after removing the installation DVD), the system displayed the error message shown below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)'
    root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /vmluniz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x16eb71]
    initrd /initrd @ 0xff0c000, 0xe1013 bytes]
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

It then halts at this point and will not do anything else.

Can someone please let me know what to look for so that I can fix this? If you need me to examine any part of the OS you'll need to give me set-by-step instructions as I am not yet familiar with Linux.

I've been searching for this error for the last couple of days and cannot find this specific error, or a solution that I understood.

If this is something fairly common (or easy to fix), please excuse my ignorance... my total Linux experience dates back at least a full week now ... So I'm kinda new to all this.

btw: the system config that I've installed FC5 onto is as shown:

IBM 300PL
    Intel P3/500MhZ
    256MB RAM
    40GB HDD

Thanks!

Linux User
    "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

there might be many reasons for kernel panic.You could boot in verbose mode
    and see what causes the panic exactly.please post the lines here if you could not find a way out of this.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onecheapdrunk
    Then I found that there is Core 5 available. So, I downloaded the DVD ISO image for the x86 and burnt it onto a DVD via another WinXP-Sp2 PC.

I then ran the DVD setup onto the Core 2 PC and selected 'upgrade'. This all went fine (took about 4 hours to install!).
    Upgrading from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 5 is a process that may not go very smoothly. Perhaps a clean install would be the best solution here.

And for a web server, CentOS (based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux) would probably be more appropriated.

Look at this thread regarding choosing the right distro for a web server :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...eb-server.html

But on the first re-boot (after removing the installation DVD), the system displayed the error message shown below:

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)'
    root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /vmluniz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x16eb71]
    initrd /initrd @ 0xff0c000, 0xe1013 bytes]
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

It then halts at this point and will not do anything else.
    Many thing can happen here. As nature said, boot in verbose mode for more details.

btw: the system config that I've installed FC5 onto is as shown:

IBM 300PL
    Intel P3/500MhZ
    256MB RAM
    40GB HDD
    As a mentionned earlier, Fedora Core 5 is perhaps not the most appropriate distro for your use. It may run a little slow too on your hardware.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Thumbs up okies... 'how to' needed... :)

Hi all,

nature, thanks for your suggestion on Verbose mode. I'll give it a shot and get back to you here if I am still lost.

antidrugue, thanks for yours on choosing a more suitable distribution. I checked out the posts. Seems that your suggestion there and here of CentOS is a good start. I'll give it a whirl.

Have a good one!

Just Joined!

remove rhgb

I ran into exactly this same problem. After spending hours of trying to figure out what the problem was, I found a solution that worked for me. All I had to do was remove rhgb from the boot parameters.

Don`t try it....

Hey, trust me..dont try to upgrade...i`ve been trying to upgrade my fedoracore 1 to 5, 2 to 4, 4 to 5, it succed to upgrade but theres something wrong(ALWAYS!!), some packages might be crash or not accepted to be upgrade or the packages doen`t upgraded at all...There must be a problem if you upgraded fedoracore, perhaps there`s a lot of crash between the packages.

So my suggestion is, just install the new updating distro..(Fedoracore5), well yess..i know you can loose your data or your file config setting but...the percentage your configuration works is only 60%....but its up to you buddy....
    Eventhough you succeded upgrading the fedoracore5, it might you have to make the new configuration...or re-set your old configuration to make it works 100%...

Good Luck...

JG!!