Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to install initng on my fedora core 5 test box and it is not going to well. let me first clarify that if I choose the boot option ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 5 and initng issues

I tried to install initng on my fedora core 5 test box and it is not going to well. let me first clarify that if I choose the boot option that uses the old initd system it boots perfectly to gdm and all are happy. I installed initng per the instructions on their site and rebooted. of course it started no graphics so I added gdm to the default runlevel, again following their instructions. now when I boot using initng I get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'" since both init systems are using the same xorg.conf file and other xorg files I imagine it has to be an issue with something init'ing out of order or initng not mounting something properly. any advice or help guys? sorry to ask about such a potentially obscure program.

Linux Newbie
    what is the old initd system, how did you install fc with it, and why are you doing this?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams
    what is the old initd system, how did you install fc with it, and why are you doing this?
    the old initd system is the system every distro uses to control the init process and has been for a long time. by installed fc with it I mean fc uses it by default when you install it. and I am doing it because initng cut my boot times in half if only I could get the gui to start up like I want it to. if you want to check out the project site its here. http://initng.thinktux.net/wiki/Installation

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Xfs

'Couldn't open default font "fixed" ' message usually means Xfs (font server) failed. Check whether it presents in your rc scripts.
    I too faced with this problem last year when I left too few space for root partition.
    I'm a newbie to linux, so could you explain me why gdm doesn't start automatically with initng? I thought init was just executing script and nothing more.