Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Got hold of an ex-business poweredge 2300 with no operating system etc. Finally managed to get FC5 to work with the 70Gb hard drive in there; but then found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC5 on PowerEdge 2300 - 3com 3c980 eth0 problem

Hi!

Got hold of an ex-business poweredge 2300 with no operating system etc.
    Finally managed to get FC5 to work with the 70Gb hard drive in there; but then found that nothing is happening with the ethernet connection.

I don't know what is in the machine, but FC5 has decided to load the
    driver for a 3com 3c980-TX. Fedora manages to activate eth0 and says that the hardware status of the 3com is 'OK'. (But then it claims to be connected to a wired network with some random IP - even when the ethernet cable is unplugged!). The LAN light on my wireless bridge never lights up when I plug it into the ethernet port of the poweredge 2300. I can only assume that there is no communication occuring through the ethernet ports at all.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Desperate to get this up and running as I bought the wireless bridge especially; and no joy!

Thanks,

LAMPshade

Just Joined!

FC5 working? How?

Quote Originally Posted by LAMPshade
    Hi!

Got hold of an ex-business poweredge 2300 with no operating system etc.
    Finally managed to get FC5 to work with the 70Gb hard drive in there; but then found that nothing is happening with the ethernet connection.

I don't know what is in the machine, but FC5 has decided to load the
    driver for a 3com 3c980-TX. Fedora manages to activate eth0 and says that the hardware status of the 3com is 'OK'. (But then it claims to be connected to a wired network with some random IP - even when the ethernet cable is unplugged!). The LAN light on my wireless bridge never lights up when I plug it into the ethernet port of the poweredge 2300. I can only assume that there is no communication occuring through the ethernet ports at all.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Desperate to get this up and running as I bought the wireless bridge especially; and no joy!

Thanks,

LAMPshade

I have two of these boxen and tried one to get FC5 working and had to move on to other projects. Can you help me get FC5 working, and then I can help you with the ethernet problem.

You said you got an apparently random IP is it like 169.254.x.x? That means that the port attempted to send out a dhcp request and got no response so it made one up in the 169.154.x.x network.

Does that help?

Just Joined!

Problem Solved

Hi!

I'm afraid the problem turned out to be simple when I finally figured out what had happened. I had the server under my desk, and scrabbling around underneath I was actually using the two wrong sockets for ethernet. Only
    some days later when I moved it out did I notice a solitary extra socket that
    looked like ethernet!! I was convinced I had tried two different ethernet sockets and was facing a software problem; when in fact I was using the wrong sockets.

Best of luck with installing FC5. I think it should install fairly easily. I only remember having a problem with the hard drive; which was solved by trying different bios settings until it finally worked.

LAMPshade

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close