Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
hi src2206 !!! you are Welcome !! no annoyance... happy to help you... yeah ! GRUB automatically get installed in MBR of Master Disk(by default). it doesnt matter where you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hi src2206 !!!

you are Welcome !! no annoyance... happy to help you...

yeah ! GRUB automatically get installed in MBR of Master Disk(by default). it doesnt matter where you installed OS... even in machine, having two hard-disks and Linux on Second Disk ( other than master )... OS install GRUB in Master (First) harddisk.... ( with a few exceptions )

well !!! i think nothing will go wrong during installation...

best of luck !

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks mate.
    I'll let you know about my experience with FC .

One little thing: during partitioning which filesystem should I choose: ext2 or ext3?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi src2206 !!!

ext3....
    check this link ...

http://linux.org.mt/article/filesystems

<=== { casper } ===>

Hi buddy,
    Good news. Downloaded allmost all the 5 CDs of FC [5th one is at 96%].
    Before I jump into installation I would like to have your advices on certain matters.
    1. I have created a 500MB partition in the 40 GB HDD though I am going to install FC in the 80 GB one [primary slave]. I have read somewhere that if the SWAP file resides in another physical drive then the performance of the OS improves. What is your opinion about this and also about the allocated size of the SWAP partition?

2. I have set aside a 21.5 GB space in my 80 GB HDD for FC installation. Is thie size enough?

3. Can I access NTFS partition and the files from Linux?

Hope that you are gonna help me in these cases too .
    thanks again.

Oh yes one more thing: do I need to download the 6th one[ Rescue Disc]?

hi src2206 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by src2206
    1. I have created a 500MB partition in the 40 GB HDD though I am going to install FC in the 80 GB one [primary slave]. I have read somewhere that if the SWAP file resides in another physical drive then the performance of the OS improves. What is your opinion about this and also about the allocated size of the SWAP partition?
    SWAP size should be 2x of RAM.. but if you have 1GB RAM then it can be less... actually its 512 MB RAM in my machine and SWAP is around 750 MB.. FC5 rarely used SWAP space.... regarding 'SWAP on other disk... i dont know.. may be it will be fast coz of read/write from disk other than the disk having OS..

2. I have set aside a 21.5 GB space in my 80 GB HDD for FC installation. Is thie size enough?
    yeah ! its more than enough.. well !! it also depends on what you gonna do... what softwares, application you are going to install....

3. Can I access NTFS partition and the files from Linux?
    yes ! you can access NTFS from Linux.. by default, its read only.. you can copy files from NTFS to Linux... there are a few softwares which allow to write in NTFS... but i dont recommend that... Create FAT32 partition ... Linux can read and write in FAT32.. you can share data between windows and Linux through FAT32 partition...

do I need to download the 6th one[ Rescue Disc]?
    yes !! you should download rescue CD.. its handy in lots of problems...

before installing FC5 read this article...

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

<=== { casper } ===>

Hi Casper
    thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by casper
    SWAP size should be 2x of RAM.. but if you have 1GB RAM then it can be less... actually its 512 MB RAM in my machine and SWAP is around 750 MB.. FC5 rarely used SWAP space.... regarding 'SWAP on other disk... i dont know.. may be it will be fast coz of read/write from disk other than the disk having OS..
    I have 256MB ram. So 500 should be enough. Right?

yeah ! its more than enough.. well !! it also depends on what you gonna do... what softwares, application you are going to install....
    I have serious plans to migrate to Linux almost completely and gradually. I do not intend to use Windows in near future except for certain multimedia applications. So now what do you feel about the partition size?

From your systm specs I can see that you use 3 different Linux distros. Is it possible to have multiple Linux distros running simultaneously?

Thanks again friend.

hi src2206 !!

So now what do you feel about the partition size?
    as i already wrote, it depends on what you gonna do.... i have two BIG FAT32 partitions. one for docs and backups, and other for songs, movies stuff.... FAT32 can be shared with all distros...10 GB each for Linux distros... again it depends....
    for FC5.... you already set aside 21.5 GB.. cool... 102MB for boot, 750MB for SWAP and rest for root... FC5 installer make these by default except SWAP..

I have 256MB ram. So 500 should be enough. Right?
    you have a lot of disk space and less RAM ... make it around 750 MB of SWAP....

From your systm specs I can see that you use 3 different Linux distros. Is it possible to have multiple Linux distros running simultaneously?
    ( running simultaneously ???? well ! you can boot up only one OS at a time...... i think you know that... )
    yes !! it depends only on disk space... i have 80 GB ... so i can have atleast 7-8 distro in my machine... i use FC5 mainly...other distros are for research work only...

<=== { casper } ===>

Hi Casper
    New problem :
    As illustrated in the installation guide link Itried to check the CDs I burnt. In case of two of the CDs I got a massege that the burnt image contains error. I tried to reburn but that did not help. The same error massege I got for the newly burnt CD. I used ImgBurn s/w at 8x speed and verified the burnt data too. The data verification feature of ImgBurn did not return any error massege.
    During the burn process I did not run any other program.

What should I do now .
    please help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast