Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi friends, I am completely new to linux and planning to install it. I have a fresh 80GB PATA HDD which is set as a primary slave using jumper setting. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Neewbie Questions

Hi friends,
    I am completely new to linux and planning to install it. I have a fresh 80GB PATA HDD which is set as a primary slave using jumper setting. There is another HDD installed as Primary Master of 40GB in which WinXP pro is installed.
    My questions are :

can I install FC5 Linux in the new 80GB HDD (Primary slave). And if I do will I get a choice of booting either in Win XP or Linux?

Should I install FC4 which I have ready in hand or take time to download and install FC5? If i install ver 4 will i get an option to update and make me less files to download?Or should I opt for some other Distro like ubuntoo?

Please understand that Linux is a completely new area for me so a little help with this silly questions will be gratly appreciated.

Thank you.

hi src2206 !!!

can I install FC5 Linux in the new 80GB HDD (Primary slave). And if I do will I get a choice of booting either in Win XP or Linux?
    yes !!! you will get a choice if you install GRUB ( boot loader properly ). during installation, it will ask "where to install boot loader ? " it SHOULD be installed in the MBR of master drive.
    well !! you have two drives... master is /dev/hda and slave is /dev/hdb... just click on /dev/hda... and make sure to plug in master ( having windows ) while installing FC5...

Should I install FC4 which I have ready in hand or take time to download and install FC5? If i install ver 4 will i get an option to update and make me less files to download?Or should I opt for some other Distro like ubuntoo
    well !! i prefer fresh install instead of update.... you should go for fresh install of FC5... upgradation is very time consuming.... you can go for Ubuntu too... it works like LiveCD....
    boot through Ubuntu installation CD and check if you like this distro... you can click or install any time.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

well !! i prefer fresh install instead of update.... you should go for fresh install of FC5... upgradation is very time consuming.... you can go for Ubuntu too... it works like LiveCD....
    boot through Ubuntu installation CD and check if you like this distro... you can click or install any time.....
    Well in my case the problem is that the connection is only 64kbps and its gonna take helluva time to download all 5+1 CDs. I have downloaded 3 of these so two more to go.It will take another 6 days to download other two.
    Now if I install FC4 for the time being shall I be able to update my installation when downloading FC5 completes? Or should I hold on till FC5 is completely downloded?
    Please help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    One more thing- tried ubuntu but did not like it much. Had a lot of trouble to login as root user in GUI mode.
    So i have decided to for FC.

hi src2206 !!!

Now if I install FC4 for the time being shall I be able to update my installation when downloading FC5 completes? Or should I hold on till FC5 is completely downloded?
    well !! go ahead and install FC4.. you can update it anytime....

could you please tell me regarding the update procedure.
    thank you.

hi src2206 !!!

nothing much to do for update....
    just boot through first installation Cd of FC5 and on prompt type linux update
    it will update existing installation...

its a bit time consuming... depends on machine configuration too....
    nothing to worry about... it will be very easy...

<=== { casper } ===>

Thank you very much friend.
    Another thing as I installed Ubuntu earlier do I need to fix the MBR using FixMBR command at windows recovery console or when I'll be installing FC the previous Ubuntu installation will automatically be removed and the grueb will be configured automatically too?

hi src2206 !!

Fedora Core will overwrite Ubuntu's GRUB... just accept default boot loader settings... if FC recognize Ubuntu then it will ask for overwriting exiting Linux installation... accept that... else manually delete Ubuntu's partition and install FC4 over that....

<=== { casper } ===>

Thanks very much.
    else manually delete Ubuntu's partition and install FC4 over that....
    In this case also I hope that ubuntu GRUB will be rewritten by Fedora?
    Hope i'm not annoying you! Just that I'm completely new but very enthusiastic abot Linux. Wish that any of my friends had the installation CDs of Fedora .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast