Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody, I got this problem, that I'm not able to bypass , so I'm turning to you people I'm using RedHat Linux 9 which I've got on the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Problems copying items with CYRILLIC chars in their names from on fs to another... :(

Hey everybody,
    I got this problem, that I'm not able to bypass , so I'm turning to you people I'm using RedHat Linux 9 which I've got on the same HDD as my NTFS partition with W2K. The boot sector on the windows partition is messed up, and I'm not able to boot it, or in any way fix it. I took my other HDD, which I've formatted to FAT32 because, that's the only fs I was able to mount so I could read-write. Basically, I'm using RHL9 right now to copy files (which I want to save before I format) from the NTFS partition to the HDD with the FAT32 partition.

The problem is, that some of the files/folders on the NTFS part. have Cyrillic (Russian) and Central European (Czech) characters in their names. When I try to copy these items to the mounted FAT32 HDD, the terminal spits out a message saying that it can't create this folder/file. I can't change the names of the items because I don't have write access to the NTFS part. from Linux. I could copy them to Linux, change the names and then copy them to the FAT32 HDD, but that would take ages...

Does anybody know what to do with this? So I could copy the files from the NFTS part. to the FAT32 HDD through Linux, without changing the names of the files/folders... Plz help and thx !!!

Cool Problem solved!!! All it need was a little modification in the mount command of the target HDD >>>

From this >>>
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win-fat32/
    To this >>>
    mount -o utf8 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win-fat32/