Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know I am going to be terribly embarrased by this - I already am. But I shall appeal to those of you who have also made mistkaes. Due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hugely stupid mistake / file permissions

I know I am going to be terribly embarrased by this - I already am. But I shall appeal to those of you who have also made mistkaes.

Due to a really stupid programming error (i.e. a bad loop) I had a "chown" go wildly out of control inside this loop. Instead of running through a series of directories starting within a certain top level, it found it's way moving UP the chain to / and did a chown on the ENTIRE system. Now, on a FC4 system, every file on the system, including of course, the OS itself, is owned by the same user and group!!

AHH!!! is there ANYWAY I can fix this? Is there someplace that I can find at least what the ownerships of each /, /etc, /var /usr and more should be?

HELP!!!

Thanks
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by histar2
    I know I am going to be terribly embarrased by this - I already am. But I shall appeal to those of you who have also made mistkaes.

Due to a really stupid programming error (i.e. a bad loop) I had a "chown" go wildly out of control inside this loop. Instead of running through a series of directories starting within a certain top level, it found it's way moving UP the chain to / and did a chown on the ENTIRE system. Now, on a FC4 system, every file on the system, including of course, the OS itself, is owned by the same user and group!!

AHH!!! is there ANYWAY I can fix this? Is there someplace that I can find at least what the ownerships of each /, /etc, /var /usr and more should be?

HELP!!!

Thanks
    Julie
    I feel your pain.
    This is out of my league, but I would guess you need to reinstall your OS.
    In my opinion there is way too many files, groups and owners to try manually chmod'ing everything.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

hi histar2 !!!

this is really a big mistake....
    on terminal log in as root and type these command

$ chown -R root /

$ cd home

change ownership of all the users ... e.g. for user1

$ chown -R user1 user1

you have to repeat this for every user...
    i hope this will work.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

but that misses the OS...

I have already fixed all my users -- that was easy since I scripted it from the passwd file, but the OS is still a bit messed up. I have set most of everything at least to root ownership or bin in the case of /bin and /usr/bin. It can't be worse than it was, that is for sure. I can't re-install the OS, since it is in a co-location far away from me. I could build a new disk and ship it to them to swap, but even that is a bit of a pain.

I am thinking I will build another FC4 machine locally and then write something to replicate the ownership - my only other option.

thanks for the replies so far though..
    Julie

Try making everything that shouldn't be executable 644, and everything that should be 755. Obviously don't set /etc/shadow to this...

That's really just coverall, it should be a lot more detailed than that but it will be a big start.

Just Joined!

Need to clarify...

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. None of the permissions hve changed - only ownership. Permissions are fine. I guess I am just going to install an FC4 version on another machine and script a "reset" program to fix my remote system.

thanks
    Julie