Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a computer with two hard drives. One has windows xp installed on it and the other has Fedora Core 5 installed on it. Both work when the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to set up dual boot?

I have a computer with two hard drives. One has windows xp installed on it and the other has Fedora Core 5 installed on it. Both work when the other is not plugged in. I would like to be able to switch between the two without having to unplug one hard drive and plug in the other all of the time. Could someone please let me know what the process is to make it so that I can have both hard drives plugged in at the same time.

hi ncjbaga !!!!

its easy !!! plug both hard disks.
    by cable select or jumper settings... make harddisk having windows as master and other as slave....
    now for dual booting... you have to in installl GRUB in the MBR of master disk...
    boot up through linux installation cd and type...

linux rescue

after a while you get prompt again....... now type...

chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/hda

if you have SATA drives then use sda instead of hda
    press Ctrl + D
    again Ctrl + D

machine will reboot and you will Get GRUB screen... select OS from the list and boot up...

you should take care of a few things...

*** hard disk having windows should be master and second boot device after CD Drive.. you can change it to first boot device after installing GRUB...
    *** take care of hda or sda... if its SATA hard disk then use /dev/sda
    *** for dual booting i always prefer GRUB (linux boot loader). its efficient and easy.. but you can use windows based boot loader too.. ( well !! i wont recommend that though )

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ncjbaga
    I have a computer with two hard drives. One has windows xp installed on it and the other has Fedora Core 5 installed on it. Both work when the other is not plugged in. I would like to be able to switch between the two without having to unplug one hard drive and plug in the other all of the time. Could someone please let me know what the process is to make it so that I can have both hard drives plugged in at the same time.
    Did you install the operating systems using one drive at a time? If so, you should start over and have both drives connected and then install windows first and linux second.

As stated previously you should be able to connect them properly and then reinstall grub and that should take care of the situation also.

You could also purchase one of those cool hard drive trays where you just slide in whichever drive you want, when you want it.

hth,
    deanlinkous

hi deanlinkous !!

Quote Originally Posted by deanlinkous
    Did you install the operating systems using one drive at a time? If so, you should start over and have both drives connected and then install windows first and linux second.
    why are you recommending fresh install ???????
    i dont think fresh install will be easier than installing GRUB now.......

<=== { casper } ===>

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi deanlinkous !!

why are you recommending fresh install ???????
    i dont think fresh install will be easier than installing GRUB now.......

<=== { casper } ===>
    Because I thought this was a forum where people offer their suggestions. You must of missed the part where I agreed with you and said one option is to re-install grub. But I also included other options since not everyone is comfortable doing stuff like that.

Because I thought this was a forum where people offer their suggestions. You must of missed the part where I agreed with you and said one option is to re-install grub. But I also included other options since not everyone is comfortable doing stuff like that.
    yeah !! but without confusing anyone.... using suggesting language only...

well !! peace now....

<=== { casper } ===>

Linux Newbie
    So you think that the method you gave would not be confusing to someone without some linux knowledge? They obviously managed to install linux so I was operating on what I knew they could do. I use the term should as in if you decide to go with this method this is what you should do. Should is pretty much a suggestive term not a demanding one. What suggestive terminology did you use in your post and why on earth are you flaming me for my word usage and how I suggest something? If I was using it as a demanding term then there would of been no reason for me to suggest other options. If I was demanding then I would of replaced the word 'should' with the word 'shall' as in - You shall do this... I am not suggesting they shall choose that method over any other only that it is one they may wish to choose. But once again, how about not berating me for my word selection and letting the poster decide what advice they wish to pursue?

So you think that the method you gave would not be confusing to someone without some linux knowledge? They obviously managed to install linux so I was operating on what I knew they could do. I use the term should as in if you decide to go with this method this is what you should do. Should is pretty much a suggestive term not a demanding one. What suggestive terminology did you use in your post and why on earth are you flaming me for my word usage and how I suggest something? If I was using it as a demanding term then there would of been no reason for me to suggest other options. If I was demanding then I would of replaced the word 'should' with the word 'shall' as in - You shall do this... I am not suggesting they shall choose that method over any other only that it is one they may wish to choose. But once again, how about not berating me for my word selection and letting the poster decide what advice they wish to pursue?
    hi deanlinkous !!!

i already wrote... peace...

<=== { casper } ===>

Linux Newbie
    okay peace????