Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am using FC4 and a few days back got acpi working (acpid file has emerged now). But I still have a few issues. If I am running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ACPI Lid Event Configuration to keep display bright

Hi All,

I am using FC4 and a few days back got acpi working (acpid file has emerged now). But I still have a few issues.
    If I am running on ac power and remove the power supply, the display screen stays nice and bright. However, if I take the close the lid and open it again, the display is much darker and uncomfortable to view. How do i configure acpi so that it beahves the same way when it is on batter as when it is on power supply? I understand that some scripts might need to be put in files like lid.sh in /etc/acpi but I am not sure how exactly and what it requires. If someone can tell me how or pass on their configuration files, I would appreciate it.

Vinod

What type of laptop are you using? Your laptop light is not usually (if ever) controlled by the OS, it is controlled in the BIOS. For example I have an inspiron 8500, which has the usual Dell Fn key, which can be used in conjunction with the Up and Down cursors. The state of the monitor backlight is remembered by the BIOS/Acpi chipset for each state - plugged and unplugged. I can manually change these settings in the BIOS also.

Just Joined!
    I am using a toshiba satellite AS306. I thought ACPI would control the display settings since the display brightness plays a part in power consumption. My function keys do not allow me to increase the brightness (if so, fn F7 should have increased the brightness. so apparently i cant use those keys). so i figured if i could stop ACPI from wanting to save power by reducing brightness, i could get it done. How can I control the bios settings so that I can always stay at same brightness regardless of power supply?

Or how do i get my function keys to work? My kernel is 2.6.16-1.2108_FC4-i686.

Thanks,
    Vinod

I can't speak for that hardware, or fedora as I don't use it but my first stop would be entering the BIOS at boottime. You should find some options for ACPI/powersave in their.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all. Although the bios in my toshiba laptop does not allow me to specifically increase brightness the way i want to, the fn-fx package claims it will help do so. so my aim is to get that working next.

Vinod