Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all, I have an older Dell Latitude C610 that I have installed FC5 on. Now I'm trying to get either the wired network connection or the wireless one to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC5 Network Help

Greetings all,

I have an older Dell Latitude C610 that I have installed FC5 on. Now I'm trying to get either the wired network connection or the wireless one to work so I can download updates etc.

I have a windows machine here that I can download and either copy whatever I need to a floppy or burn to a CD, however neither media will mount when I try to find the files on the laptop.

Can anyone give me some idiot proof instructions on how to at least get the wireless card working? I have downloaded the ndiswrapper-1.23.tar.gz file to this machine and the 3c90x-1.0.0i.tar.gz for the wired port. If I can get the CD ROM to read any CD's then I'll be able to copy the AV-DR_2802wV.2_WHQL folder over to hopefully get the ndiswrapper working on the wireless card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you experts can provide.

Hopefully I'll see some of you at the LinuxWorld Conference in SF Next week!

Quote Originally Posted by jonmori
    Greetings all,

I have an older Dell Latitude C610 that I have installed FC5 on. Now I'm trying to get either the wired network connection or the wireless one to work so I can download updates etc.

I have a windows machine here that I can download and either copy whatever I need to a floppy or burn to a CD, however neither media will mount when I try to find the files on the laptop.

Can anyone give me some idiot proof instructions on how to at least get the wireless card working? I have downloaded the ndiswrapper-1.23.tar.gz file to this machine and the 3c90x-1.0.0i.tar.gz for the wired port. If I can get the CD ROM to read any CD's then I'll be able to copy the AV-DR_2802wV.2_WHQL folder over to hopefully get the ndiswrapper working on the wireless card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you experts can provide.

Hopefully I'll see some of you at the LinuxWorld Conference in SF Next week!

There is no idiot proof way to do anything in linux. As a matter of fact there is more than one way to do anything in linux.
    You'll probably have better luck trying to get the built-in card working first, then the wireless.
    Have you looked in the network settings (system-config-network) to see if your hardware is already installed? If it is, then just create a new connection for that device.
    If not, then you'll need to post the output of lspci, lspci -n and ifconfig, so someone can help you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Sound working, sometimes...

Oh Shoot,

Wrong topic!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    There is no idiot proof way to do anything in linux. As a matter of fact there is more than one way to do anything in linux.
    You'll probably have better luck trying to get the built-in card working first, then the wireless.
    Have you looked in the network settings (system-config-network) to see if your hardware is already installed? If it is, then just create a new connection for that device.
    If not, then you'll need to post the output of lspci, lspci -n and ifconfig, so someone can help you.
    Thanks for the reply.

I see both the wireless and wired devices with system-config-network but both fail to activate.

lspci shows the on board 3com as 02:00.0 and the wireless as 03:00.0
    ifconfig just shows a loopback connection.

As far as I can tell, that wired card is supported in the kernel. Have you tried setting up a new connection for either card, entering the WEP key for wireless, setting the hostname and using DHCP?
    no errors of any kind?

And how are you trying to mount your CD drives, are they windows formatted?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.