Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I am a beginner in Unix/Linux. I had been using windows and have now shifted towards Fedora 4. I am having a problem..please help. I installed the rpm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post help needed..very basic type

Hello all.
    I am a beginner in Unix/Linux. I had been using windows and have now shifted towards Fedora 4. I am having a problem..please help.

I installed the rpm http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries....c4.rf.i386.rpm

But after installation..it is all quiet..I can not find how to run the program..

It is not a problem with this program only, but will all my rpms.. They install but forget to tell the user how to use them. Many softwares and packages that I installed simply were installed but I could not find a way to run them.

Please help anyone.

Let me help you...

Quote Originally Posted by viveksri15
    Hello all.
    I am a beginner in Unix/Linux. I had been using windows and have now shifted towards Fedora 4. I am having a problem..please help.

I installed the rpm http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries....c4.rf.i386.rpm

But after installation..it is all quiet..I can not find how to run the program..

It is not a problem with this program only, but will all my rpms.. They install but forget to tell the user how to use them. Many softwares and packages that I installed simply were installed but I could not find a way to run them.

Please help anyone.
    Okey this how to find the rpm run file application that u`ve been installed :

1. Cek in you menu application (in windows start menu), but first of all you can u informed me the type of the application is it (networking application, game....??) try to find in the start menu and match with the type of the application. Usually if you installed the rpm file types, its automatically creat shortcut in your starts menu.

2. If you did not find the application, try command this in your terminal :

To query all installed packages. This command will print the names of all installed packages installed on your Linux system.

# rpm -q foo

To query a RPM package. This command will print the package name, version, and release number of the package foo only if it is installed. Use this command to verify that a package is or is not installed on your Linux system.

# rpm -qi foo

To display package information. This command display package information including the package name, version, and description of the installed program. Use this command to get detailed information about the installed package.

# rpm -ql foo

To list files in installed package. This command will list all of files in an installed RPM package. It works only when the package is already installed on your Linux system.

3. If that doesnt works try this command : #locate [application name] (just the first name of the application)

4. Or you can find the application name in : /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

Good. Luck
    -JG-

hi viveksri15 !!!

on terminal give this command

$ which <package you installed> ..... like $ which xmms
    it will give you the path where package is installed ....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thankyou for such good replies..
    This has solved my problem

hi viveksri15 !!!

Glad to know that your problem is solved

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First