Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hopefully someone can help with this. Like many here I am new to Linux and am using FC5 and have Apache running on it. My objective is to create a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsftp setup for apache

Hopefully someone can help with this.

Like many here I am new to Linux and am using FC5 and have Apache running on it. My objective is to create a test environment for websites but I can't figure out how to get the security set up correctly to allow me to ftp files directly to the server from my development machine.

So far I have created a username of ftpguy and can connect to the ftp server (vsftp) with this ID fine. It dumps me in the home directory /home/ftpguy but I can't change to /var/www/html to post files. I also created a group called webpostr and changed the group ownership of /var/www/html then put a symbolic link in the /home/ftpguy directory to /var/www/html. I still can't change to this folder from ftp (I can logged in as root). Do I also need to change the permissions to the /var directory? I a bit afraid to mess with that because I don't want to hose the system.

Hopefully I explained that well enough, I am used to the Microsoft model on shares where you just assign permissions the folder etc. The unix security is still confusing to me.

I have been fighting with this quite a bit and any links with info for doing this would be appriecated. I update websites via ftp and just want to duplicate that setup on my Fedora box.

Thanks in advance.

Steve H.

Linux Enthusiast
    I accomplish what you seek using Samba. Create a new share for /var/www/html and make sure that you force user = root and you will be able to copy and paste HTML docs in this directory - bypassing the need and headache of ftp. This is the way I set up all of my Apache servers and it works like a charm.

Linux Enthusiast
    Here is a snippit of my smb.conf to be used as a reference:

[Web Site]

force user = root
    valid users = username goes here
    user = all usernames go here
    path = /var/www/html
    write list = usernames go here

Be sure to place valid smb user accounts under the valid users and user entries and once completed, issue /etc/init.d/smb restart and or samba restart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Ok I tried SMB

I had previously tried to get Samba working also. I can connect shares but can't do anything other than browse files. There is a permissions issue again apparently, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

smb.conf
    [global]
    workgroup = Mshome
    ; security = USER
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    [test]
    path = /usr/local/test2
    writeable = yes
    valid users = melissa, steve, steveh
    browseable = yes
    create mask = 0700
    [test3]
    path = /test3
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    [backup]
    path = /backup
    writeable = yes
    valid users = melissa, steve, steveh
    browseable = yes
    create mask = 0700

[WebSite]
    force user = root
    valid users = steve
    user = steve
    path = /var/www/html
    write list = steve
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

Here is the current state of the unix permissions on the directory test3. I've tried many other things.

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 12 22:11 test
    drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody users 4096 Aug 17 18:43 test3

Just Joined!

anyone?

Can anyone please help with this?

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't see anything obviously wrong, have your restarted smb once you made the changes to smb.conf. Have you double checked your smb user passwords?

Linux Enthusiast
    On another note, have you enabled Samba through your firewall and have you disabled SE Linux!?

Just Joined!

it was SELinux

SELinux was blocking both FTP and Samba. Both are working now. Thanks for the help!

Steve H.