Find the answer to your Linux question:
I greatly apologize if this has been discussed thoroughly before, but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. As there's five hundred-some pages to dig through everything, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installing Linux...

I greatly apologize if this has been discussed thoroughly before, but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. As there's five hundred-some pages to dig through everything, I thought posting a new thread would simply be more helpful then resurrecting an old one.

I am new to Linux. After a long time of debating and arguing with my SO about Linux being the choice OS of the future (it is!), I've finally convinced him to let me load Linux onto a partition on our computer. He's primarily a Windows user, however, so it will have to be dual boot.

Recently, we've run into some troubles with Windows and viruses that will require us to wipe our drive and reload Windows. Again. Which is why I've managed to convince him to let me load Linux now. I've looked over my options, and chosen Fedora 5, since this seems to be the most user friendly.

My question, after all this rambling, is this - I already have Fedora downloaded. Do I need to load Fedora before I load Windows, or the other way around? Either way, what is the most painless method of going about it?

Quote Originally Posted by TehLinuxNewb
    I greatly apologize if this has been discussed thoroughly before, but I went back a few pages and didn't see anything. As there's five hundred-some pages to dig through everything, I thought posting a new thread would simply be more helpful then resurrecting an old one.

I am new to Linux. After a long time of debating and arguing with my SO about Linux being the choice OS of the future (it is!), I've finally convinced him to let me load Linux onto a partition on our computer. He's primarily a Windows user, however, so it will have to be dual boot.

Recently, we've run into some troubles with Windows and viruses that will require us to wipe our drive and reload Windows. Again. Which is why I've managed to convince him to let me load Linux now. I've looked over my options, and chosen Fedora 5, since this seems to be the most user friendly.

My question, after all this rambling, is this - I already have Fedora downloaded. Do I need to load Fedora before I load Windows, or the other way around? Either way, what is the most painless method of going about it?
    Hiya TehLinuxNewb,
    Install Windows first, then Linux and make sure you install grub to the master boot record of hda1 (the master drive)
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    That's it? Just make sure grub's installed to that record, and it'll automatically do what it's supposed to?

Sorry if I seem incredulous. That just seems... Too easy.

Another question - should I go ahead and repartition the computer? If so, how much space should I give Linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLinuxNewb
    That's it? Just make sure grub's installed to that record, and it'll automatically do what it's supposed to?

Sorry if I seem incredulous. That just seems... Too easy.

Another question - should I go ahead and repartition the computer? If so, how much space should I give Linux?

Yup, theoretically anyhow. =-}

should I go ahead and repartition the computer?
    Only for the Windows partition. Linux likes unpartitioned freespace.

how much space should I give Linux
    10 or 15 GB should be more than plenty if you have that much to spare.
    hope this helps you and good luck.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.